1st generation TDS Ranger to Windows 7...

Discussion in 'Surveying & Geomatics' started by Dave Karoly, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Dave Karoly

Dave Karoly 5-Year Member

Licensed in:
    CA
    Mobile Device Center.

I have no trouble connecting this DC to XP with Active Sync through a serial cable.

With Windows Mobile Device Center the DC knows the computer wants to connect so I hit yes on the DC but Mobile Device Center just spins and spins waiting for a driver.

Does anyone know the secret handshake to get this connection to work? Fortunately I still have a Windows XP laptop which I use to download but occasionally it's convenient to do it with the desktop.

This is at the office.

2. cburnett18

cburnett18 4-Year Member

Give this data transfer utility a shot.

http://www.trimble.com/datatransfer.shtml

3. Edward Reading

Edward Reading 5-Year Member

Licensed in:
    CA, ID, WY
    Funny, I just had this problem on Saturday Dave. I re-started Mobile Device Center while it was spinning and looking for the driver, and it connected. Good luck!

4. Jim Frame

Jim Frame 5-Year Member

Licensed in:
    CA
    I just placed an order for a new Dell workstation with 64-bit Windows 7. I'm bracing for a wide swath of lost productivity as I wade through all the minutia of getting older hardware and software to work on new hardware and OS. Ugh.

5. The Pseudo Ranger

The Pseudo Ranger 5-Year Member

If you are talking about the original "At Work Computers" Rangers made in 1999, I spent about 4 hours trying to get that dumb thing to communicate with XP, and never got it. It used to work, but in my research I learned the new versions of ActiveSync did not communicate with this version of Windows CE.

I tried installing legacy versions, including some very old MS communication utility, and nothing worked.

I tried installing TDS Surveylink, but it did not like the 9-pin to USB conversion cable.

In the end, I connect the old ranger to newer ranger via a null modem cable, transferred the files to the new ranger, then downloaded the newer ranger.

At the main office, they kept a computer with 9-pin serial port goign, and can transfer data via TDS Survey link with no problem.