1. How to get logged in to the NEW SurveyorConnect.com!

You should have received a password reset notification at the email address you used to register your account here. If you don't receive the email, please check your spam or junk folder. If you still don't have it, please click the following link to manually reset your password. If all else fails, send us an email at support@surveyorconnect.com.

[ CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD ]

NMEA string on Leica Viva

Discussion in 'General Land Surveying' started by Tim Reed, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Tim Reed

Tim Reed 5-Year Member

Licensed in:
    AK, MT
    I've set up numerous GPS systems over the years to pump out NMEA strings for use in Hypack. I can't quite get the VIVA system working though.

Apparently I can't pump NMEA out of the controller (CS15), only the antenna(GS15). I have tried a GEV162 cable into port 1 of the GS. On "other connections" I have set NMEA1 to send all messages through port 1, with the device set to RS232. RS232 is set to 9600, 8, None, & 1.

Also tried a GEV160 cable into port 2. Set port 2 up the same with NMEA2, all messages, RS232 for device. Still no NMEA strings into hyperterminal or Hypack.

Anybody got this system up and running with NMEA?

2. Robert Ellis

Robert Ellis 4-Year Member

I'm only guessing but do you need to reverse pins 2 and 3 (null modem) and the Viva may not transmit NMEA unless it is has a corrected solution either DGPS or RTK., as I said just a guess because I have not worked with the Viva.

3. Tim Reed

Tim Reed 5-Year Member

Licensed in:
    AK, MT
    Thanks Robert. Yes I was set up with Base & Rover talking, RTK locked. I don't think it will send an NMEA string unless it's at least got differential lock.
    I'll try slapping a null modem on the leica cable, although $160 proprietary cable should have done the trick by itself.
    Just got these Vivas on Monday. Consider me "mostly" impressed.

4. Robert Ellis

Robert Ellis 4-Year Member

The null modem may work, I hooked a Leica 1200 from P2 to a laptop and had to do that to get data.