1. How to get logged in to the NEW SurveyorConnect.com!

You should have received a password reset notification at the email address you used to register your account here. If you don't receive the email, please check your spam or junk folder. If you still don't have it, please click the following link to manually reset your password. If all else fails, send us an email at support@surveyorconnect.com.

[ CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD ]

OPUS and Topcon Hiper GA

Discussion in 'General Land Surveying' started by chaptech_rope_stretcher, Mar 29, 2011.

1. chaptech_rope_stretcher

chaptech_rope_stretcher 4-Year Member

Hi Folks,
    I am using a Topcon Hiper GA (base and rover) setup. When uploading to OPUS...I do not see an option under "antenna type" for my GA's. Which antenna type should I be using. I HAVE been choosing TPSHIPER GGD...since it seeemd to fit my units the closest. Am I missing something...or should this give me what I need? Thanx

Jason

2. snoop

snoop 4-Year Member

I think a GA is in the same case as a Hiper Lite. Correct?

3. Loyal

Loyal 5-Year Member

I suspect that the NGS simply hasn't "calibrated" this particular unit as yet (it's pretty new).

The KEY to getting good solutions, is using the RIGHT "antenna phase pattern data." This relates not only to the case configuration, but [more importantly] the the actual ANTENNA [patch, unit, model, whatever] installed in said case.

The Hiper GA appears to be a GPS + GLONASS unit (40 channel 10 or 20 hz), so I would suspect that the ANTENNA is similar to the HIPER Lite PLUS (also a 40 channel 10/20), but that is an ASSUMPTION! The fact that the GA has an central radio antenna (which the GGA doesn't), would make me lean towards the Hiper Lite PLUS (which does).

I would send an email off to Topcon, and see if you can get clarification on WHICH existent Phase Pattern model best fits the Hiper GA.

This is one of those things that I would NOT want to guess about!

Loyal

4. RFB

RFB 5-Year Member

After you do your homework, run an OPUS session on a known control point, or 4, with good elevations.

Then compare.

:coffee:

5. JerryS

JerryS 5-Year Member

The TPSHIPER_PLUS option is the correct one for what you have.

The HiPer+, HiPer Lite+, HiPer Pro, HiPer XT, HiPer Ga & Gb are all the same receiver differing in terms of the radio and the standard OAF file.

6. PerfectStranger

PerfectStranger 3-Year Member

Has anyone found which OPUS antenna model best approximates the Hiper GA? I'm up against the wall with a ton of observations from a surveyor I contracted and he used the Hiper GA (Part Number: 01-860805-01 says he).

Thanks much,
    Matt

7. Loyal

Loyal 5-Year Member

I just checked the latest IGS antenna file (igs08_1644.atx) and I didn'e see it there (could have missed I suppose).

See:

ftp://igs.org/pub/station/general/igs08.atx

I also looked at the latest NGS Absolute Calibration Files (see the Readjustment page), and no joy there either.

http://beta.ngs.noaa.gov/myear/

Beats me, it will be available when it's available I suppose.

Sorry,
    Loyal

8. Loyal

Loyal 5-Year Member

You might try

Just a thought, but you might shoot an Email off to Dr. Gerald Mader at NGS HQ.

Gerald.L.Mader@noaa.gov

He would probably know if that antenna is currently in the calibration pipeline, and if so when it might be available to OPUS.

Loyal

9. PerfectStranger

PerfectStranger 3-Year Member

You might try

Thanks for the help and information. Much appreciated, my friend.

Regards,
    Matt

10. sonofsurveyor

sonofsurveyor 3-Year Member

Opus and Topcon Hiper Ga/Gb

I have been using the Topcon Hiper Gb receivers and OPUS for the last 2 years. I contacted my equipment dealer who then contacted his Topcon Rep. to ask what Antenna Phase Center we should be using for the Hiper Ga/Gb receiver. He verified my choice which was the "TPSHiper Lite P/N 01-840802-03 Antenna+Receiver+Wireless".

11. Denny

Denny 2-Year Member

\

2 things using hiper sr and results from opus
    are different then if iI use the same cors sites
    by a fair amount. Not sure just yet because of the following
    I put the 2 rtk receivers on
    a initialization bar I had from
    ashtech and shot as rover point
    the horizontal difference was about 0.008 feet
    close enough but the vertical was about 0.05 feet
    which I suspected from some preliminary field work WTF

12. Big Al

Big Al 4-Year Member

In the picture below, taken from http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/ANTCAL/Antennas.jsp?manu=Topcon, take a look at the description text in the right most column. Does "GPS" indicate that the receiver tracks GPS satellites only, whereas "G/G" indicates that the receiver tracks both GPS and Glonass?

[​IMG]

13. Loyal

Loyal 5-Year Member

I don't think so!

Here's the ANTEX record:
    Code:
         1.4            G                                       ANTEX VERSION / SYST
    A                                                           PCV TYPE / REFANT   
    This calibration extracted from composite ngs08.atx.  See   COMMENT            
    the composite file ngs08.atx for more information.          COMMENT            
                                                                END OF HEADER       
                                                                START OF ANTENNA    
    TPSHIPER_PLUS   NONE                                        TYPE / SERIAL NO    
    FIELD               NGS                      3    25-MAR-11 METH / BY / # / DATE
         0.0                                                    DAZI                
         0.0  80.0   5.0                                        ZEN1 / ZEN2 / DZEN  
         2                                                      # OF FREQUENCIES    
    IGS08_1788                                                  SINEX CODE          
    CONVERTED FROM RELATIVE NGS ANTENNA CALIBRATIONS            COMMENT             
       G01                                                      START OF FREQUENCY  
         -0.22      1.23     87.75                              NORTH / EAST / UP   
       NOAZI    0.00   -0.03    0.20    0.67    0.98    1.18    1.34    1.51    1.53    1.59    1.54    1.61    1.57    1.65    1.92    2.59    3.97
       G01                                                      END OF FREQUENCY    
       G02                                                      START OF FREQUENCY  
         -0.78      0.11     89.45                              NORTH / EAST / UP   
       NOAZI    0.00   -1.03   -1.61   -1.88   -1.89   -1.88   -1.79   -1.77   -1.91   -2.01   -2.05   -2.06   -1.83   -1.63   -1.33   -0.81   -0.05
       G02                                                      END OF FREQUENCY    
                                                                END OF ANTENNA

Looks like an L1/L2 to me (# Frequencies 2).

Loyal

14. Big Al

Big Al 4-Year Member

Any clue what G/G means?

15. Loyal

Loyal 5-Year Member

No clue here...