1. How to get logged in to the NEW SurveyorConnect.com!

You should have received a password reset notification at the email address you used to register your account here. If you don't receive the email, please check your spam or junk folder. If you still don't have it, please click the following link to manually reset your password. If all else fails, send us an email at support@surveyorconnect.com.

[ CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD ]

Dismiss Notice

Survey Pro or Survey Controller

Discussion in 'General Land Surveying' started by gharvin, Jun 20, 2012.

1. gharvin

gharvin 3-Year Member

ok here is the deal. I am going to buy another Trimble S6. We have a few rangers that we run our R8, Leica TS, and other S6 with.

I have an chance to get the new controller with Survey Controller rather than Survey Pro. Having three boxes with Survey Pro I am wondering how my S6 and R8 will run on Survey Controller. Will they be more responsive? Work smoother?

Is it worth the gamble? Once the collector is bought no turning back.

2. DavidALee

DavidALee 4-Year Member

I would recommend Survey Pro. Survey Controller is great for GPS but I don't like it for anything else. You will not like it, coming from Survey Pro.

3. R. Michael Shepp

R. Michael Shepp 4-Year Member

We use survey controller with our S-6 and GPS and love it.

Have never used Survey Pro so I can't compare it.

4. mmm184

mmm184 4-Year Member

I haven't used Survey Pro in about 3 years...at the time it was my favorite software. Now Carlson SurvCE is...though it won't run the S6.

We have (4) S-6's, when I purchased the first one, the salesman talked me into Trimble Access (same as Survey Controller)...reluctantly I agreed. Every time I buy a new S6, I consider switching to Survey Pro. The only reason I don't, is because of the "integrated surveying" feature available on Access. It literally takes 1 second (1 click) to switch between the S6 and the R8 (GPS). This is a slick feature, especially useful when GPS conditions are marginal.

If Survey Pro had integrated surveying (or equivalent), I would switch back.

5. Mark Mayer

Mark Mayer 5-Year Member

Licensed in:
    OK, OR, WA
    I've used both Survey Pro and Survey Controller. I'd choose Controller, for both GPS and total station work.

6. T-Ray

T-Ray 4-Year Member

I've used both and in my opinion it depends on what kind of surveying you do more of. For topographic surveys and gps stuff I think Survey Controller is a bit better than Pro. For construction staking Pro is hands down a better product. Controller is getting better but still not close to Pro!

7. Mark Mayer

Mark Mayer 5-Year Member

Licensed in:
    OK, OR, WA
    > ...For topographic surveys and gps stuff I think Survey Controller is a bit better than Pro. For construction staking Pro is hands down a better product...
    I agree with that. Stakeout is not controller's strong suit.

8. Phillip Lancaster

Phillip Lancaster 5-Year Member

> ok here is the deal. I am going to buy another Trimble S6. We have a few rangers that we run our R8, Leica TS, and other S6 with.
    >
    > I have an chance to get the new controller with Survey Controller rather than Survey Pro. Having three boxes with Survey Pro I am wondering how my S6 and R8 will run on Survey Controller. Will they be more responsive? Work smoother?
    >
    > Is it worth the gamble? Once the collector is bought no turning back.

Will they be more responsive? (I can only speak about the S series guns) Way more responsive. Way more smoother. Does not make any sense to me why. Seems like the same company would share drivers better but there is a difference. I've got Trimble access and Survey pro 5. I can tell you without any doubt that trimble software will run your S series gun way better than Pro. The new Pro is terrible. The old Pro was good but will make your controller crash. Go with Trimble. And this is coming from a guy that doesn't like Trimble. I think they are a money hungry company that thinks their way of doing things or their equipment is so far superior than all others and will nickel and dime you to death on every little thing possible for the life of that product.

I got both and I use Access even though Access could learn a few trick from Pro. Pro doesn't work as good with the robot as access (I think its the exact same as Survey Controller right). Also I think you have a 30 trial with either program.

9. ekmanspiral

ekmanspiral 3-Year Member

We have 4 s6's that we controll with TSC2's. They have both survey controller and Survey Pro (v4.11). We use the Survey Pro. Can't say that we did any sort of evaluation - everyone wanted TDS because that was what they are used to.

We just got new R8's and the Survey controller definately seems to be superior for the GPS.

A couple of things to be aware of:
    TDS versions 5 and greater do not support the Levelling Module.

I heard that Survey Controller was not going to be updated/maintained in the future as Trimble was going forward with Access. (this is what I heard).

Neil

10. Jp7191

Jp7191 4-Year Member

T-Ray is right-on! Another point is if you due a lot of computing in the field tds is much better. I think both are a let down to the survey community and surveyors should expect much more from the software companies. my 2 cents, Jp

11. TigerSupplies

TigerSupplies 3-Year Member

I would say that you "could" indeed return the Collector back if you call me and work out the deal.

12. Michael

Michael 3-Year Member

Anyone know how Trimble's LM80 compares for layout?

13. Roadhand

Roadhand 5-Year Member

I have never ran survey controller but if it is anything like SCS900 I would say Survey Pro is by far the superior product.