1. How to get logged in to the NEW SurveyorConnect.com!

You should have received a password reset notification at the email address you used to register your account here. If you don't receive the email, please check your spam or junk folder. If you still don't have it, please click the following link to manually reset your password. If all else fails, send us an email at support@surveyorconnect.com.

[ CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD ]

Dismiss Notice

Trimble Data Collector question

Discussion in 'General Land Surveying' started by Loyal, May 18, 2011.

1. Loyal

Loyal 5-Year Member

Okay, I am NOT (thankfully) a Trimble user, so I am hoping that one of the Trimble gurus can help me out here.

I have a client that uses Trimble gear (R8 w/ TSC2 v10.7).

I just found out that when I send him “search coordinates” (it's a long story), he has to INPUT them individually from the screen (basically doesn't know how to download an [ASCII] .csv file to the collector). I told him that I would ASSUME that you could probably do that directly into the data collector even from a thumb drive (it has a port).

I know that my state of the Ark DOS collectors can duo this (from a PCMCIA or Compact Flash Card), so I have a hard time believing that Trimble's megabuck system can't handle something this simple.

What say you?

2. Ryan Versteeg

Ryan Versteeg 5-Year Member

Licensed in:
    CA, UT
    I do not know the exact process, but when I email our search coordinates to our crew that had a TSC2, you could drag and drop the file into the collecter as a csv file. It was very easy.

3. IsWhatItIS

IsWhatItIS 4-Year Member

Is he using Survey Controller? If so just copy and paste the .csv file into the Trimble Data folder either from computer or from Thumb Drive. Once in Trimble Data folder goto properties of current job/linked Files/ and select the .csv file and you should be good to go. Using thumb drive can be tricky first time or two. Have to go into Windows mobile and file explorer then into jump drive click and hold and select copy then navigate to trimble data folder and scroll all the way down and click and hold at bottom of screen and select paste.

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant 4-Year Member

Loyal: I will send you some instructions by email.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant 4-Year Member

if I had your email address.....

6. Glenn Borkenhagen

Glenn Borkenhagen 4-Year Member

You (or your client) certainly can do what you are wanting to do via CompactFlash or Secure Digital cards, the slots for which are under the black cap at the top of the TSC2.

Using a USB flash drive depends on which version of the Windows Mobile operating system is running on the TSC2. The earlier version (used with Survey Controller up to and including Ver 11.20) did not provide USB Host support, so the USB-A port on the PowerBoot battery module would not work with a USB flash drive.

Beginning with Survey Controller Ver 11.21 (February 2006) the operating system is Windows Mobile 5, and it does provide USB Host support. If that is the case, then the USB flash drive will work as well.

Your post suggests your client's TSC2 has Survey Controller Ver 10.7, but Survey Controller Ver 11.10 was the very first version that worked with the TSC2.

The easiest way to see which version of Survey Controller is running is to close out of Survey Controller and then relaunch it. The splash screen will show the version number.

I suspect the Version 10.7 information came from a DC file? This is one of the cases where numbers do not mean what they appear to mean - the DC files from all later versions of Survey Controller show "SC V10-70". Best as I can figure out that number refers to the naming convention used for the records in the DC file, not the version of Survey Controller that was actually used on the data collector.

Mr. WhatItIS has provided one way of using the points from the removable memory.

The other way would be Files | Import/Export | Import fixed format files. Then you can import the points from a CSV or TXT file into the current job instead of linking to them.

GB

7. Loyal

Loyal 5-Year Member

LDOGEO at AOL dot COM

8. Loyal

Loyal 5-Year Member

Thanks a bunch GUYS...I'm forwarding this stuff to the Crew Chief.

Loyal