1. How to get logged in to the NEW SurveyorConnect.com!

You should have received a password reset notification at the email address you used to register your account here. If you don't receive the email, please check your spam or junk folder. If you still don't have it, please click the following link to manually reset your password. If all else fails, send us an email at support@surveyorconnect.com.

[ CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD ]

Dismiss Notice

Trimble robotic total station users how long is your range?

Discussion in 'General Land Surveying' started by True Corner, Sep 23, 2011.

1. True Corner

True Corner 4-Year Member

I've been wondering what is your range for a Trimble robotic total station? I have a 5603 with the super prism and I don't think I get more than 1200' with it. Shouldn't I get more? I do have the power stick but I don't think it works it probably should be recelled. I don't think it ever worked from the dealer but I didn't catch it until it was out of warranty. But does the power stick make a difference?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant 4-Year Member

Our Robotic repair guy always says if you are getting 1000 feet you are doing good and anything past that is a bonus.

1200 feet is pretty good..most I ever got with a 5600 was 1300 feet.

3. VA LS 2867

VA LS 2867 4-Year Member

Licensed in:
    NC, VA
    My experience with the Geodimeter 610/Trimble 5603 is you can get up to 1,200 feet with the 360° mini prism. You should be getting greater than that to a super prism but probably not in robotic mode just autotrack. I think the 1,200 foot range is pushing the limits of the radios.

4. Jimmy Cleveland

Jimmy Cleveland 5-Year Member

Licensed in:
    AR, KY, MS, MO, TN
    It's been about 7 years or so since I used a 5603, but I seem to remember that 800'-1000' was about the max with the mini 360 prism.

I don't know about you, but that is just too far away for me to feel comfortable with accurate shots. Plus, that's too far away in case something goers wrong at the instrument, or someone wants to "borrow" it.

I like to stay a little closer to the instrument, but it could be the part of the country that I work in also.

5. Target Locked

Target Locked 5-Year Member

I get about 1200 feet with the 360 mini, however, I also have a RMT SLR and I've got up to 3000 feet with it. Keep in mind RADIO range is dependent on what type of cover is between you and the instrument. Corn field, dense brush, etc and the range will be reduced. There is also a "long range" function on the SLR

I also use external power for the RMT SLR. Forget about the 2 internal batteries. I connect a "brick" to the SLR.

[​IMG]

6. freefallin1309

freefallin1309 4-Year Member

I've been using the 5603 for about 7 years and have never gotten over 1000' from a 360 prism on a power stick. I think you're doing good to get 1200', though like others I don't feel the accuracy is that reliable at that distance ... I don't go over 600'.

7. True Corner

True Corner 4-Year Member

After reading these replies what are the differences between the 5603 and an earlier robotic Geodimeter 600 series?

8. Jim Frame

Jim Frame 5-Year Member

Licensed in:
    CA
    I've gotten around 1,200' with a GDM640 robot and a 360 prism, though I don't use the PowerStick. I can't go that far on hot days with that setup, though.

I think it has as much to do with the tracker LEDs as with the prism. I've noticed that a regular RMT (single-LED) is dicey at 1,500' on a hot day, but if I mount the SuperRMT it locks at that distance without trouble.

9. mmm184

mmm184 4-Year Member

We run Trimble S6's and are lucky if we get 1000'...maybe a little farther in optimal conditions.
    1250' is the farthest I've shot with any robot (Sokkia SRX with long rang Bluetooth).

10. SWAG

SWAG 4-Year Member

The radio range on the S6 does seem to be its biggest problem. 1000ft max under ideal condtions is my experience.

11. Georges

Georges 4-Year Member

Based on the here comments, sounds like not much difference in range between both models.

I am curious, what are the technical specs from the manufacturer? I know on the Satelline radios (GPS900), the published specs are very reliable.

12. pencerules

pencerules 4-Year Member

With the 2.4 GHz radios, Trimble claims a distance of 3937' max in robotic mode, and 7218' in autolock. What I found for the Georadio 600 is a distance of 200' in robotic, and 3200' in autolock.
    Those are specs listed on data sheets. My personal experience was 1500' in the best conditions with a Georadio 600 with a Geodimeter 608.

13. Jim Frame

Jim Frame 5-Year Member

Licensed in:
    CA
    I'm using long-range bluetooth rather than the Georadio for communication between the gun and the data collector.

14. christ lambrecht

christ lambrecht 5-Year Member

The radio range is indeed the key factor for the S6,
    we recently purchased an adapter that places the TSC2 antenna on top of the Active Prism for a project in the flat fields. No more 'radio link down messages' and range to 1700 ft (500m) without any problems. Did not test how far we could go.
    But the connection is with a (rather short) cable from TSC2 to antenna - not suited to bush, and prism height to max 6.6 ft (2m.)

chr.

15. exbert

exbert 3-Year Member

Chris--
    Any chance you bought the cable online? If so, can you share the link or message it to me? Thanks in advance!

16. exbert

exbert 3-Year Member

Chris--
    Any chance you bought the cable online? If so, can you share the link or message it to me? Thanks in advance!