Bearing Lines vs Ea...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Bearing Lines vs Easement Lines Conventions

utahpowderskier
(@utahpowderskier)
FNG Member

Looking at the buildable footprint of a lot we are considering purchasing.  The setbacks and public utility/drainage easements are clear.  The question I have relates to a bearing line between survey markers that uses the same line dashed line convention as easements.  I've attached both an overview of the subdivision area as well as a detailed view of the lot in question with the bearing line in question marked with a black arrow (cutting across the S side of Lot 406).  If this is an easement restricting the buildable footprint, it's a problem.  If it is simply a bearing line that does not impact buildable footprint, it is not.  But since they both use the same line style convention (easements and this bearing line), it's not clear to me.  Any insights are appreciated!

Topic starter Posted : August 1, 2021 2:30 pm
utahpowderskier
(@utahpowderskier)
FNG Member

Just to add on to my query above, I realize the line is a chord line for the curve?  But is it common convention to use the same line style of an easement?  Last thing I would want would be to find myself with a reduced buildable footprint because a chord line is somehow marked as as easement line.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 1, 2021 4:31 pm
Norm Miller
(@norm)
500+ posts Member

The line depicting the chord line has no other meaning. Good point though that a different line style might have been used. Another option many use is to label the curves and table the curve date to clean up the drawing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2021 7:15 am

Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
5,000+ posts Member

It does appear to be nothing more than the chord of the curve. I cannot explain why those curves are so annotated while other curves are not. It's not a common format. Perhaps there is some marginal note on the map that addresses these lines? 

Please ask your question of the surveyor who produced the map and let us know what he says.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2021 7:43 am
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts Supporter

Poor drafting practice to not make it clear. 

There are other nonsense line types that also muddle the plat.

As an aside, building setbacks are tricky. Plats can show them and be filed and be correct as they were filed, but be wrong. Also there is probably a side setback and possibly a utility easement along the side lots mentioned in the dedication but not shown. I would confirm with the regulators before a building plan is considered. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2021 9:16 am
Share: