First step in expan...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

First step in expanding a residential lot?

piecesofcurb
(@piecesofcurb)
FNG Member

I have a half acre lot that I'd like to expand to 1.5 acres to build a house. I own both the half acre and the surrounding land outright. My question is how do I go about getting this done? Do I have a survey done first, contact a real estate attorney, or contact the local planning board? 

This topic was modified 4 months ago by piecesofcurb
Topic starter Posted : August 2, 2021 6:49 pm
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
1,000+ posts Supporter

Hey There.  Start with this:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/planning-subdivision-land-surveying-other-important-tasks-spyridakos

Thats a great simple primer, you're on the right track.  Its a longer process than people want to believe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2021 7:10 pm
Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts Member

The process will depend on the jurisdiction.  In some places (Mr. Holy Cow's territory) you probably need a surveyor and maybe an attorney, and a few sheets of paper filed.  In some places it will cost thou$ands just to do the paperwork and months to get the approvals if indeed the bureaucracy will allow it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2021 7:49 pm

piecesofcurb
(@piecesofcurb)
FNG Member

@bill93 I'm in rural eastern NC. The acre I'm hoping to add is part of a 35 acre tract of farmland. In my mind, it should be simple but who knows when government is involved.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 2, 2021 7:55 pm
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Member

Had a fellow call today because his lender told him he had to have a survey.  I told him he needed to find a better lender.

He owned a large tract that was an aliquot part of a section in the part of the country laid out per the Public Land Survey System.  He wanted to build a house on this land.  His home county recognizes aliquot parts down to five acres.  I told him to figure out which five acres he needed to be his building site and to keep it near the road.

The alternative was to wait six weeks minimum for me to show up and spend several thousand dollars for my services.

He really liked the part about finding a different lender once I explained how lenders operate.

But, that is here, which is probably nowhere near where you are.  What you must do is extremely dependent on the exact location.  Provide that information and someone following this site can probably give you some sound advice.  Otherwise, all responders will be guessing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2021 10:11 pm
Share: