Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Delinquent Payments

Page 5 / 7

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts

The one time I got truly burned, the client owned nothing on his own name.  I engaged a collection agency, but after a bit of research they told me he's untouchable.  I had to eat the sh|t sandwich, a $5k meal.

2 Replies
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

1,000+ posts

@jim-frame 

Yeah, people whom hide that way are showing a pattern of definably guilty behavior. A reasonable judge or even jury would be able to see through that tactic, but it's hard to not trust people. Unfortunately I have to relearn how to, because until you prove otherwise, you're not a trusted person esp business until I see or experience that proof.

That sucks you couldn't get results.

not my real name
(@not-my-real-name)

500+ posts

@jim-frame 

I am sorry. Hopefully that will not happen again.

RADAR
(@dougie)
5,000+ posts
Posted by: @jim-frame

I engaged a collection agency, but after a bit of research they told me he's untouchable

Sounds like a loop-hole that needs closing.

I mean; if the word gets out, all of the dirt-bags will be doing it!

1 Reply
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

1,000+ posts

@dougie 

And or lazy collection company.  They want big profit too, and doing too much work burns them up.

Dave Lindell
Supporter
(@dave-lindell)
1,000+ posts

The one time I lost after winning in small claims court was because the jerk died.

I did get the satisfaction of overturning his desk onto his lap at his office though.

Another time I thought I might never collect, but I was counseled to file an Abstract of Judgement which put a lien on everything he owned in the County.  Sure enough he needed to refinance his house and my lien was top of the list.  The measly $270 he owed me originally was repaid with 10% interest and all costs to the tune of $1200 after almost nine years.

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
20,000+ posts

There are people who learn exactly how to work the system and then do so repeatedly.  Having np real estate on their own name is one.  Having no checking or saving account is another.  Having no employer is to their advantage.  One that got me was the inability to touch certain income.  In my case, both husband and wife were on full disability and I couldn't touch it.

Watch out for LLC and speculator clients.  They can be trouble.

not my real name
Topic starter
(@not-my-real-name)
500+ posts

I attended the mediation hearing today and it was insane. The client produced a bunch of photographs showing the edge of the pavement wanting to know why the corner was set so far back.

According to other documents he produced, including a copy of the assessor map and a mortgage loan inspection, he owns to the road. It was too confusing to explain how "the road", meaning the pavement is not boundary. The pavement is not as wide as the right-of-way, and that the pavement is not in the center of the right-of-way.

Before I left, I told everyone that mediation would work better if he hired another surveyor to check his boundary and then the two surveyors could compare notes. Other than that it is obvious that nobody in the room understands anything about surveying. 

5 Replies
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

1,000+ posts

@not-my-real-name 

I was a fly on the wall last night at Tony Nettlemans legal expert as a Licensed Surveyor presentation.

Don't encourage them to hire a Surveyor. Let them wallow in the future disaster, be sure to say nothing at all until you're lawyered up. They are going to be your Tar baby and sound like they don't care about wasting money even if they are wrong.

You've got no obligation to educate your adversary, only to vanquish the stupid, and get paid.

Stay the course, be open for advice from your side only.

Yuck.

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: @jitterboogie

@not-my-real-name 

I was a fly on the wall last night at Tony Nettlemans legal expert as a Licensed Surveyor presentation.

Don't encourage them to hire a Surveyor. Let them wallow in the future disaster, be sure to say nothing at all until you're lawyered up. They are going to be your endless abyss of failure and sound like they don't care about wasting money even if they are wrong.

You've got no obligation to educate your adversary, only to vanquish the stupid, and get paid.

Stay the course, be open for advice from your side only.

Yuck.

Replacement of a potentially detrimental term.

As a kid I was always reading and Brer Rabbit crossed my list of things to read as I was only bringing that up as an example of a futile waste of time.

Take if for what it is, I meant nothing offensive nor directly or indirectly putting any implied spin on the term.

If you want Wendell, you can delete the other post and leave this one.

So it goes....

dmyhill
Supporter
(@dmyhill)

1,000+ posts

@not-my-real-name 

Send him the bill for your time at the mediation hearing...

JPH
 JPH
(@jph)

1,000+ posts

@not-my-real-name 

So, was there a resolution?  Or is it tabled for another useless meeting/hearing?  Or is the mediator taking what was presented, and is going to make his uneducated determination?

not my real name
(@not-my-real-name)

500+ posts

@jph 

The court is next. Stay tuned!

Page 5 / 7
Share: