Notifications
Clear all

Is it unethical and a conflict of interest to perform my own survey?

141 Posts
37 Users
109 Likes
hpalmer
(@hpalmer)
Member Supporter

@ncsudirtman   reminds me of times when we did surveys for tax sales.  I would be in auction and bid when I thought the price too low.  I ended up purchasing several properties I had surveyed and some I had not.  One person complained it was a conflict for me to bid and the Attorney handling the sale asked me to not bid.  The person who complained was the same person who spoke out at the auction saying the properties had lots of issues and wasn't worth much - then his partner purchased the properties at bottom dollar.

Ethics 101

Posted : September 22, 2022 3:52 pm
ncsudirtman reacted
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
Member Supporter

@hpalmer 

I've never seen a survey for a tax sale, who was the client?

Posted : September 23, 2022 6:04 am
hpalmer
(@hpalmer)
Member Supporter

@mightymoe the County and the firm contracted by the county to auction the property.  These were judicial escheat sales. 

Posted : September 23, 2022 6:53 am

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
Member Supporter

@hpalmer 

That's a new one to me, they normally list all the tax sale parcels and they go to auction, but without surveys. 

I don't see any reason you can't bid on a tax sale that you surveyed.

SWMBO and I went out to look at a property I surveyed and we were both excited, but it was already gone a couple of days after I finished the survey, we were too late, it sold hours after the realty sign went up.

I also lived in a house I personally surveyed the lot for (before I was licensed).

This post was modified 1 day ago 2 times by MightyMoe

Posted : September 23, 2022 7:18 am
hpalmer
(@hpalmer)
Member Supporter

what did border on unethical at auctions were the partners with one yelling those properties 'don't have access', 'are worthless', 'have wetlands', you cannot build on them', 'I wouldn't give you a dime for it'... and on and on with the other on opposite side of room bidding and winning as everyone else thought the property worthless because of what his partner said.

I was winning bidder on one important parcel that jutted out into the battlefield and was later able to get it included with the Bloody Angle NPS battlefield.

Posted : September 23, 2022 8:33 am
ncsudirtman
(@ncsudirtman)
Member Member

@hpalmer - I look at it like this - I'm not going to risk the decade of work I put into getting my PE or PLS to cut any corners for myself or a client. But I do know that almost monthly I get a remark from a client about them trying to cheapen up a project or skimp on something that is either needed or required (typically for land development)

so I look at it this way - if I am willing to do said engineering for land development or the surveying required to the very best of my ability and know that I'm not willing to risk my hard-earned seals for skimping or cutting corners as it could be viewed poorly by anybody else, then how am I in anyway a worse choice in development than joe-blow developer who is ONLY concerned with the costs and profit margins associated with a project? I look at it as if I am taking the public health, safety and welfare into greater consideration if anything as I would have my hands directly in everything - but hey I can see where others aren't as comfortable too I guess...

Posted : September 24, 2022 9:28 am

Page 10 / 10