Share:
Notifications
Clear all

How to interpret a decimal point used in a residential measurement?

Brcobrem
Topic starter
(@brcobrem)
FNG

Hi,

This is my first thread on your forum and I hope this is not off topic or too elementary a question. Please advise if so.

I had a question for out local code department about the measurement shown on a survey map of a residential property in Florida USA and they weren't sure how to answer. It shows:

9.95' 

Does that mean:

9ft + (95/100(12inch)) = 9 foot + 11.40 inches ?

or 

9ft  + 9 1/2 inches

As a science person, I would think it meant 9ft 11.40 inches.

But then I thought 9.95 might be shorthand in survey's language for 9ft  + 9 1/2 inches.

There are other similar measurements like 30.3', 20.6'  and more like that. The survey is from early 1980's.

I appreciate you thoughts on this and thank you for your help.

Regards . . .

4 Replies
dms330
(@dms330)
200+ posts
Posted by: @brcobrem

9ft + (95/100(12inch)) = 9 foot + 11.40 inches ?

This one is correct, it is decimal feet you are observing.

Field Dog
(@field-dog)
500+ posts

In case you notice, the house dimensions on your residential survey will be perfect with respect to length and width. In other words, the left side of your house will be equal in length to the right side, and the front of your house will be equal in length to the back side. I don't know why survey companies find it necessary to adjust field measurements for this purpose. Is it because they don't want the client to question their work? House corners are often not perpendicular, and chimneys are worse. Bay windows are tough to square off.

2 Replies
FairbanksLS
(@fairbanksls)

200+ posts

@field-dog 

All the houses I measure were built by craftsman.  Even the log ones have square corners.

holy cow
(@holy-cow)

20,000+ posts

@fairbanksls 

Buildings with field stone facades are a joke.  Some stones jut out up to nine inches (0.75') more than others.

There is a local bank where the outer wall adjacent to the drive up window has such a facade.  You could hang your Carhartts on one stone that has a nice upward curve as it protrudes out much further than its adjoiners.

Share: