NLC Exam Prep for PS

5 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Gathered_1111
(@gathered_1111)
Regular Member Member
Topic starter

I see some have posted 4 years ago about NLC test prep for the PS exam not being worth the cost. I have a mechanical engineering degree, but switched to surveying. I went for my surveying degree to only have one college then another drop their program/ ABET accreditation. I received my LSIT after passing the FS (I was able to sit based on experience).  But I’m worried I haven’t been exposed to enough aspects in the surveying field to pass the test based on my work experience, so I definitely think I need to study. If NLC can direct me to exactly what to study, I think that would be a big help, but I know through different threads here on SurveyConnect many have listed probably enough materials to study. I just want to pass and I’m unsure if I should spend money for a “possible” guarantee. Just trying to bounce it off of someone here. I’ve been involved at work with solving a fair amount of boundaries, some subdivisions and writing a few legal descriptions. The courses I’ve taken are Elementary Surveying 1 & 2 and Boundary Law 1 & 2, but that was 8 years ago. Is 8 months long enough to study for the PS exam and state specific exam for someone like me that may not be very well rounded yet in surveying? Thanks in advance.

Posted : January 17, 2023 5:08 pm
Jitterboogie reacted
Topic Tags
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
Supporter Supporter

I agree that NLC wouldn't have given me any advantage for the FS, AND I was ready to take the PS but where I live at currently the potential for upsetting the board by taking it without their permission (whatever yhgtbfkm ) kept me from doing that.

In the past 3 years I purchased 6 of the  books shown and previous classes in surveying and GIS are from 15 years ago photo attached.

I feel that 8 months of prep might be toouch depends on the te you're spending.  for the FS I spent about 6 weeks of 2 to 3 hours every other day and 8 hours total on the weekends.

I walked out about 1.5 hours early from the test not think I had a chance to pass.

Don't overlook or discount your real experience and focus only on books. You'll do far better than you think esp with the math with your back ground.

I have a biology degree and chem minor and never took Calculus, but I dabble in math for fun and legal things for the same and for work.

Youve got this, and this website is also a tremendous source for knowledge too and I credit it and it's participants for helping me get across the line for sure.

HMU if you have any more questions or ideas on study stuff.

Carry on.

Posted : January 18, 2023 7:31 am
Gathered_1111
(@gathered_1111)
Regular Member Member
Topic starter

Thanks Jitterboogie. I may grab other books but I’m still leaning toward using NLC. I feel that if I know NLC’s materials and direction is precisely what others have used to pass the exam then it makes me feel more confident. I just wish there were only certain materials we were to study from and that’s what the test would be on, rather than have a mountain of materials to choose from. I do appreciate your input. I will see if I can find some of your books as it all will help.

Posted : January 18, 2023 4:35 pm

Get the 2023 SurveyorConnect Wall Calendar

Mikeflynn87
(@mikeflynn87)
Regular Member Member

It took me like 4 attempts to pass my FS then I took NLC and passed very next try. Just finished up the NLC PS course, hoping for the same results. Let me know if you need a login. 

Posted : January 18, 2023 6:42 pm
Gathered_1111
(@gathered_1111)
Regular Member Member
Topic starter

@mikeflynn87 What do you mean by “need a login”? I will say, I’ve gone through a good portion of the NLC PS free preview and I am impressed with what I see so far. Nettleman explains things well in a way that is memorable. Some may say that I don’t need it, and maybe it’s a waste, but I just want to do all I can to give myself the best chances of passing. And I think I’ll just have the potential to have more knowledge under my belt. Could I ask you about how long did it take you to get through their program? Thanks for the response!

Posted : January 19, 2023 5:19 pm