Notifications
Clear all

OR and WA HISTORY YOU SHOULD KNOW

Page 2 / 2
John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
1,000+ posts Member

@jed 

You're going to need Nate's gear for this point.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2021 9:52 am
Brad Ott liked
BStrand
(@bstrand)
1,000+ posts Member

So the surveyor general went out and put a stick in the ground and then told some other guys to do the work.  Sounds like a pretty sweet gig if you can get it.  😏 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2021 8:53 am
Brad Ott liked
Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
5,000+ posts Member

@bstrand 

Left unsaid is the work that must have gone into figuring out a spot that would keep the base line south of the Columbia River and the meridian west of Vancouver Lake, and all the while having the meridian run south down the Willamette Valley floor for nearly a hundred miles before striking off into the mountains. You can't just stand on the spot, or any spot near it, and see that.  The location was selected within a few months of Preston's arrival in the Oregon territory. It must have been a very busy few months. And it's not like he could just place a craigslist ad and hire up competent field crews just like that.     

And all the while the place is teaming with settlers anxious to perfect their claims. In most places the (non-native) settlement was sparse to non-existent when the surveyors arrived to lay out their townships and sections. In this case the area had been settled beginning 26 years before he arrived and things were getting pretty far advanced. The City of Portland had been founded 5 years before that. 

So maybe he didn't do a lot of the field work himself.  But that doesn't mean that he didn't have his hands full. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2021 9:44 am
Protracted, Jp7191, John Putnam and 1 people liked

Protracted
(@protracted)
100+ posts Supporter

If other meridians are feeling left out, you can explore your initial point in this book, https://www.powells.com/book/initial-points-of-the-rectangular-survey-2221114631373 or maybe via this link, https://www.blm.gov/or/gis/geoscience/geosciencespublications.php

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2021 8:40 pm
BStrand
(@bstrand)
1,000+ posts Member

@norman-oklahoma 

My comment was intended to be more humorous than a serious criticism of the guy's work ethic, but OK... 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2021 7:09 am
John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
1,000+ posts Member

Mr. White used to live next door to my cousins when we were kids.  When I first started out in the profession my old boss would drag me the PLSO chapter meetings.  Al was there and when he realized who I was let everyone know what a little hellion I was.  I'm sure he confused me with my cousins since I was such an angle.  Just ask my mom.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 16, 2021 6:12 pm
RADAR and Brad Ott liked

RADAR
(@dougie)
5,000+ posts Member
Posted by: @tim-v-pls

how did they survey out of this?

And you want me to go to Spokane from here? 66 feet at a time? With a solar compass?

In Nebraska, we used the 6th Principal Meridian:

You could practically see the horizon, for 360deg.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2021 8:23 am
Brad Ott liked
RADAR
(@dougie)
5,000+ posts Member

@bstrand 

Preston lost his position in 1853, and "drifted into obscurity...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2021 8:32 am
Tim V. PLS
(@tim-v-pls)
200+ posts Member

@john-putnam obtuse, acute, or right angle?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2021 9:26 am
dmyhill liked

Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
1,000+ posts Member

@dougie 

I had never heard of Preston "losing his position", ie/ being fired, before. I had always assumed that he had just gone back home for personal reasons. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2021 11:01 am
RADAR
(@dougie)
5,000+ posts Member

@mark-mayer 

I read somewhere, once, that he went insane; but I couldn't find it again. I guess that would be a personal reason...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2021 11:51 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: