Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Survey College 2021

leegreen
(@leegreen)
1,000+ posts Member

I just dropped off my son at Syracuse SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, also known as the Wanakena Ranger School. He has a long list of required items plus a bag items handed to him at the college. They include a clinometer, compass, HP35s calculator, laptop computer, Carlson Survey 2021 (which cost him just $100/yr for a life), field books, 10x magnify glass, 75ft loggers tape measure, hard hat, rain gear, snowshoes, cramp-ons, safety vest, etc. But no plumb bob 😏 . 

I graduated from Paul Smith's College (NY) 30 years ago. We were required to have an HP41 with a survey chip and a plumb bob. But they longer have a surveying program as of just last year.

This topic was modified 4 months ago 2 times by leegreen
Topic starter Posted : August 15, 2021 1:17 pm
Brad Ott, FairbanksLS, WarrenWard and 5 people liked
Edward Reading
(@edward-reading)
500+ posts Member

That's great, Lee. I have worked with some fine people from both the Ranger School and Paul Smiths. I went to Sterling College in VT many moons ago.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2021 5:26 pm
Field Dog
(@field-dog)
500+ posts Member

Best of luck to your son, Lee! You must be very proud of him!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2021 5:28 pm

FrozenNorth
(@frozennorth)
500+ posts Member

Glad to hear the Ranger School is still going.  Didn't know about Paul Smith's.  Sorry to hear that, I know a number of fine Paul Smith's surveyors here in Alaska.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2021 8:42 pm
FairbanksLS
(@fairbanksls)
200+ posts Member

Congratulations!!!

Unless it's changed your son will have a unique experience in higher education over the next 10 months. He will add a year to his life by fitting two years into one.  He will develop a work ethic that will benefit him for life.

The NYSRS at Wanakena is good stuff.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2021 5:42 am
GMPLS liked
SReeserinPA
(@sreeserinpa)
50+ posts Member

Best of luck to him, glad to hear the Ranger school is still running, but saddened to hear about Paul Smiths.  Sadly the number of GOOD survey programs at colleges is diminishing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2021 11:14 am

Scrim
(@scrim)
10+ posts Member

One of my party chief's graduated from Wanakena Ranger School.  He was tough as nails, I learned a lot from him.  He had some great stories of school, it was not a walk in the park.

It's sad to hear that Paul Smiths is ending their survey program.  CC Fee was one of the great patriarchs of our profession.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2021 3:03 pm
GMPLS
(@gmpls)
200+ posts Member

We weren't issued plumb bobs when I was there either. I assure you that they will have several opportunities to use one.

This post was modified 4 months ago by GMPLS
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2021 7:58 am
Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts Member
Posted by: @gmpls

plum bobs

I looked hard and found this one in plum color.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2021 8:27 am
oldpacer and Brad Ott liked

GMPLS
(@gmpls)
200+ posts Member

@bill93 Good catch!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2021 8:37 am
Share: