Notifications
Clear all

Technician Certifications and Experience, by Value

Page 1 / 2

DLEIDIGH
Topic starter
(@dleidigh)
10+ posts

Interested in knowing people's stance on what kind of certifications / education / experience are deemed most valuable.  If you're hiring someone, what would you place as far as level of importance? 

9 Replies
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
1,000+ posts

I was required to be CST 2 OFFICE/FIELD to remain employed.

DLEIDIGH
Topic starter
(@dleidigh)
10+ posts

Hmm, interesting.  So I had a poll attached to this which didn't show up:

• CST Level 1/2
  • CST Level 3/4
  • 2 year Degree in Surveying  / Geomatics
  • 4 year Degree in Surveying / Geomatics
  • LSIT
  • FAA Part 107
  • GIS Cert
  • Field Experience
  • Office Experience

Any other ones below the PLS Level that I'm missing?

FWIW: I'm currently holding a 2 year degree with a CST 1 and FAA Part 107

SPMPLS
(@spmpls)
500+ posts

You cannot be hired into our surveyor series without an LSIT (EIT acceptable) or 4-year degree from an ABET accredited surveying/geomatics program. We are a large government agency and have almost 300 licensed staff (PLS) and about the same number of LSITs. 

3 Replies
DLEIDIGH
(@dleidigh)

10+ posts

@spmpls So you don't have any survey techs?

SPMPLS
(@spmpls)

500+ posts

@dleidigh We have technicians, but they are not classified as surveyors in any way. We use them both on field crews and in the office. They also work in many other areas, such as construction, design, materials testing, etc. We create a path for them to move into the professional series by obtaining their LSIT. It is sort of a "grow our own surveyors" program that has been quite successful. Still, the supply can't meet the demand.

DLEIDIGH
(@dleidigh)

10+ posts

@spmpls Ah, I see.  That makes sense.  I suppose the two paths aren't really linked in reality until someone is an LSIT, at which point they really decide if they're planning on continuing and gaining licensure or polish their technician skills.

Murphy
(@murphy)
200+ posts

If you live or want to live near Raleigh, NC, please send me a PM.

I place the highest value on an applicant who has a clear path to licensure as a PLS.  I don't care in the slightest whether their education comes from an ABET accredited university, a community college, or the newly available online degrees.  

When I interview someone for a surveying position, I am trying to figure out if they are motivated to continue to learn, are they curious about life in general and surveying in particular.  Although it's necessary at times, I don't want to hire the types of people who would be comfortable working only in the field or only in front of a screen.

Page 1 / 2
Share: