JOA Surveys, LLC, a land surveying firm in Anchorage, Alaska is seeking a Geospatial Scientist to lead field projects in a range of technical domains, including land surveying, extending vertical datums, QC of aerial mapping, tidal measurements, and environmental investigations. You will be responsible for assisting with proposals, development of schedules, organizing field operations, supervising 2-3 field personnel, acquiring accurate geospatial measurements in the field, applying quality control checks and documenting results in reports and drawings. This position requires a driver's license and willingness to travel frequently to remote areas of Alaska.
Hours: Full time
Employment Period: Seasonal
Start Date: March 2023
Salary: TBD based on experience
- BS degree in surveying or related field involving geospatial or environmental measurements and quantitative analysis. MS degree preferred
- 5 years minimum of field survey experience in Alaska, at least 3 years as leader of team
- Comfortable operating small boats and ATV’s, and traveling on airplanes and helicopters
- Well versed in USACE survey requirements and documentation standards
- Fluent in ASPRS mapping standards and development of mapping quality control plans
- Proficient at GNSS survey design for orthometric heights with 2-5 cm accuracy
- Static and RTK GNSS techniques and digital leveling
- Terrestrial and mobile scanning platforms, unmanned aerial systems, and hydrographic survey data acquisition
- Proficiency in technical software such as NGS Windesc and Translev, OPUS Projects, Trimble Business Center or Topcon Magnet, AutoCAD, and Hypak or other hydrographic data processing software
- Enjoy physical work outdoors in remote areas of Alaska
- Diligent in understanding clients’ detailed procedures and specifications, and able to translate these requirements into clear directions to your team
- Positive and creative, able to persevere against challenges on remote projects with limited support, while keeping your team motivated and focused
- Innate passion for producing accurate, detailed and rigorously checked measurements, even under difficult weather conditions
- Committed to learning and evolving to meet client needs and to help JOA grow in new frontiers of the industry
At JOA Surveys, we value building positive relationships within our team and in the remote communities we work in. We are committed to building trust with our clients by learning their requirements and working to exceed them. We enjoy innovating and exploring new technologies. If you are a detail-oriented Geospatial Scientist with a passion for field work, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity to join our team.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to [email protected].
Sounds like a cool gig!