Topic starter
(@j-holt)
100+ posts
35 Replies
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
1,000+ posts

ILL TAKE IT!

Err uh wait I better read the ad and see if I'm even remotely qualified.... 🤨 🤔 

Williwaw
(@williwaw)
1,000+ posts

This is a golden opportunity for the right guy. 

7 Replies
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

1,000+ posts

@williwaw 

Yeah, but where do you live? Holy crap it's expensive there! (Cruising craigslist and Zillow)

I know Washington is the #1 state to live in, but hell, I'm in no 49, and the cost difference is staggering.

dmyhill
Supporter
(@dmyhill)

1,000+ posts

@jitterboogie 

Chehalis is Eastern Washington, so the prices are better Seattle for sure. This would be a great gig, if it was lateral or even a slight step down. 

WA-ID Surveyor
(@wa-id-surveyor)

500+ posts

@dmyhill Chehalis is definitely not in Eastern Washington. Maybe you're thinking Chelan and that's more North Central WA.

holy cow
(@holy-cow)

20,000+ posts

@wa-id-surveyor 

I see shuh-HAY-lis is close to both Oregon and the Pacific.  Population of 7300.  County seat town.

That would seem to make it attractive to many surveyors. one of the notable citizens was Kay Bell a  professional football player and wrestler.  With a name like Kay, he was born tough.

aliquot
(@aliquot)

1,000+ posts

@jitterboogie 

It looks pretty affordable compared to much of the country, of course you probably couldn't support a family there with this job alone. 

Most skilled  goverment jobs are not competitive with private sector salaries, but somewhat make up for it with it other ways.

James Fleming
(@james-fleming)

5,000+ posts

@williwaw Sure, if the angry adjoiner you want to deal with is Sasquatch

Williwaw
(@williwaw)

1,000+ posts

@james-fleming I would consider that a fringe benefit over some of adjoiners I deal with. When Sasquatch starts packing an AR I'm sure I will change my calculus.

Williwaw
(@williwaw)
1,000+ posts

I guarantee you Alaska is more expensive. If I was younger guy chasing my license and already living in WA, I’d be all over it, assuming I was getting responsible charge. The experience there won’t be had in the private sector.

6 Replies
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

1,000+ posts

@williwaw 

Define "younger"....

Williwaw
(@williwaw)

1,000+ posts

@jitterboogie Younger than me. 

J. Holt
(@j-holt)

100+ posts

@williwaw If chasing your license, wanting resposible charge and are willing to put in the work, this position could deliver.

A similar position with the state of WA did well for me.

-Justin J. Holt, PLS. Washington Dept. of Natural Resources, State land Survey Unit Supervisor.

Williwaw
(@williwaw)

1,000+ posts

@j-holt I went a similar route. No regrets.

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: @j-holt

@williwaw If chasing your license, wanting resposible charge and are willing to put in the work, this position could deliver.

A similar position with the state of WA did well for me.

-Justin J. Holt, PLS. Washington Dept. of Natural Resources, State land Survey Unit Supervisor.

Spoiler alert: I'm not demeaning the opportunity:it's a semantic nit picking...kevlar aluminium asbestos Borat banana hammock donned...

The problem I have with 'romanticising' a survey license as a chase irks me.  Its not a chase. That belies pitfalls and delays, introduces a vague sense of potential failure should be expected. 

It's almost universally required to have 2 and mostly 4 year very esoteric and specific degrees. Concrete requirements. Not chance.

The whole responsible charge crap. I drove 120 miles one way at 0300 for gravity surveying. Here, that wouldn't cut the mustard (from what I'm trying to figure out) and then the 120 mile drive back and blasted, dehydrated, etc. Safety and crew management for that part of the operation was critical. Just one example.

Why can't we just be a professional profession?

You get a degree. You work for 8240 hours, and make bench marks of professional progress that are qualified, quantifiable, and acceptable to a national standard, and not just Joe Schmo surveying in this state, or Barbra Jo surveying in that state.

This way we've always done it is literally killing off the profession.

The could get it done part is insane.

If you were told going into any Medicine, Legal, research PhD, plumbing, electrician, Engineering, professional pipeline...and you dropped the ' This 'could' deliver....no one would participate.

Maybe my brain is Fried rice now from too much internal heat, maybe my experiences, good and bad have framed and shoulder my opinions on this, but when I share the required path of the process with people, and say yeah, it might be more than 4 years of work to actually get to the goal of responsible charge quantity, they go " Screw that", " Why is it so arbitrary?" And my favorite" You REALLY got to want to do that if you're willing to pay those dues.."

Make it simple, like a Hobbs meter.

Jesus, neurosurgery is only a Seven year residency. 

And has an 86% successful rate of completion.

Because the goals and expectations are concrete and immune to personal ideology from the get go.

All said, been a hell of a week.

Sorry for the hijack. I probably misconstrued the simplicity of your honest and succinct response with my exhausted mental state. 

A pox upon me.....

GIF
holy cow
(@holy-cow)

20,000+ posts

@jitterboogie 

That so-called Knight is the dumbest person ever born.  Maybe it's because he's so low on blood he can't bleed properly.

thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
1,000+ posts

About 30k light...

2 Replies
dmyhill
Supporter
(@dmyhill)

1,000+ posts

@thebionicman 

But getting into the govt system is worth a lot. Those guys didn't miss a single paycheck throughout COVID. A WA government job in EWA is kind of a great gig. 

thebionicman
(@thebionicman)

1,000+ posts

@dmyhill I spent the last three years with the government. There are perks, but working 30 or 40k per year under market is too much, especially when a new governor destroys everything you enjoy about the job...

Page 1 / 2
Share: