Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Position Available Survey Crew Chief, Washington DNR

Page 2 / 2

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts

I don't know why anyone would want to work for an agency named Do Not Resuscitate.

2 Replies
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

1,000+ posts

@jim-frame 

Shazam!

Williwaw
(@williwaw)

1,000+ posts

@jim-frame Because they wanted good experience towards getting licensed?

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
20,000+ posts

Getting the ticket (to ride) is hard work and expensive while following the RULES.  That is part of why it is so insulting to see those who have not endured a fraction of that effort handed THE SAME JOB TITLE and public recognition.  One must live it to understand it.

I recall my mother explaining to me in my youth how it was that finding a career was far more than getting your foot in the door.  There is a complicated path to even finding the door.  Then, you must not only want to go through the door, but must be welcomed to enter.  Once on the other side of the door (in this case a professional license) what happens is largely up to you.  But, much of your progress is based more on who you know than what you know, at first.

2 Replies
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

1,000+ posts

@holy-cow 

Fair.  My ratio of whom I know that's been helpful and supportive and the other side is far out of whack. I've been getting much better at sifting through the grist before accepting jobs now. It's a hard place to recover from the older you get.

holy cow
(@holy-cow)

20,000+ posts

@jitterboogie 

Experience is a rough road.  We learn more from our frailties and mistakes than the normal day to day work.

Sometimes we need to step back and take a Simone Biles break to evaluate what we can and cannot do despite our aspirations.  I have warned many high school students and college students that wanting a certain career and working at that career choice are two very different things.  There are many brilliant people who can handle the challenging classwork required to graduate in a specific career area.  They get so focused on the courses that they ignore learning the real world expectations that go with that career.  One's personal view of the future can be in conflict with the career expectations.  Say one wants to become a brain surgeon but yet wants to raise their children in a small town environment.  What percentage of hospitals with brain surgeons are located in Dogpatch, USA?  An introvert won't do very well in a career where 99.9 percent of such workers are extroverts.  If one is afraid of flying, certain career choices will not work out well.

RADAR
(@dougie)
5,000+ posts
Posted by: @jitterboogie

potential failure

Potential failure exists everywhere; 14% of your neurosurgeons failed...

Success is going beyond the point of giving up!

Maybe it's the Schmo's and Barbie's that get into a profession and say: This sucks! I can't wait to retire! That are mucking things up.

If people like Justin want to say things like: If you want to do this, that, and the other thing, please let me show you where to sign up. It doesn't matter what they're signing up for; it only matters where they'll end up.

When my first boss said: show up Monday at 7:15 am, wear a good pair of boots; I can remember how lucky I felt, landing an awesome job like Surveying! That was August 11, 1975. I was 18 yo and didn't know anything about life; let alone surveying. I didn't care anything about; 4 years; 8 years; LSIT; PLS. All I knew was; I was going to be doing something great! Something that was going to make a difference!

That was close to 46 years ago and I still can't wait to wake up in the morning and go to work!

If people are getting into the: Medicine, Legal, research PhD, plumbing, electrician, Engineering, professional pipeline for the money; good for them; I hope that makes them happy. For me; there's more to life than money. (Although I do think Justin should add about 30k to his numbers)(Thanks @thebionicman)

The problem I have with 'romanticizing' a survey license as a chase irks me

Your problem is you're looking at it negatively; your looking at it like you're chasing a Dragon; you're not chasing a Dragon, you're chasing your dream. Sure, you're going to find pitfalls and delays; these are the things life will through at you. But I bet you'll find more of them chasing that Dragon, than chasing a dream.

I hope you don't feel like I was aiming my Flame Thrower at your Banana Hammock; I'm just trying to help.

I hope you, and everyone else has a great day!

I know I know I will!

Dougie

4 Replies
holy cow
(@holy-cow)

20,000+ posts

@dougie 

August 11, 1975

That was like twenty lifetimes ago.  On that date I had been sitting at my shiny desk in air-conditioned comfort for two months in my first post-college job.  Had already been on a half dozen all day trips to meet with various professionals at meetings or conferences.  Had flown to California and Texas as part of my work.  Had an expense account and a secretary to try to transcribe my Dictaphone letters.  But, once I left the office, I was surrounded by strangers except for my wife and daughter and a handful of people from our apartment complex.

RADAR
(@dougie)

5,000+ posts

@holy-cow 

I was on a job at Boystown in Omaha NE staking grading for a new rec-center, cottages and a lake. It was a hot dusty day; a few months latter, it was a mud hole...

I was loving every minute of it!

BOYSTOWN
holy cow
(@holy-cow)

20,000+ posts

@dougie 

Did you get to meet Father Flanagan and Whitey Marsh? (Spencer Tracy and Mickey Rooney)

RADAR
(@dougie)

5,000+ posts

@holy-cow 

No, but I did listen to this song; a lot...

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
1,000+ posts
Posted by: @dougie

I hope you don't feel like I was aiming my Flame Thrower at your Banana Hammock; I'm just trying to help.

Not at all. I posted candidly. I'm wearing the special undies. That's why I like this site. This isn't personal, it's real and with real professionals.

I did clarify my potentially overshooting the intent of the message, and yes.  I need to refocus my lens.

My littany of school of hard knocks lessons were taken in the best intentions, and betrayal and malfeasance are beyond my control. And FWIW never have had any Drinking drug or and issues. Maybe an issue of deeply intrinsic integrity. That scares a lot of people.

The LSIT etc is a bench here in my organization, and brings a substantial increase in pay, which I really need.  The learning is why I came. it left, and in that void, I'm readjusting and rebuilding the track.

Thank you again and sorry I completly screwed up your job posting. I'll apply so you can reject me in absolution.

🤨 😋 

3 Replies
J. Holt
(@j-holt)

100+ posts

@jitterboogie Don't worry about the job posting.

Some folks might be surprised that we don't often get very many qualified candidates when advertising positions like this one.  Other folks might be surprised that I am willing to work for what I make, being employed by the State government.

It's all good.

But, just an observation: ranting and complaining about ones current situation and the state of the Land Surveying Profession is mis-directed energy, in my opinion. 

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

1,000+ posts

@j-holt 

As I offer my additional mea culpa, duly noted. I've been couped up all week with too much time on my hands. And fevers. No excuses.

I wish I could have been in the intersection of this job in 2016 after I came off a project mapping the Rio Grande.

I'm avoiding studying.  Hopefully tomorrow i can spend quality time with that.

Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)

5,000+ posts

@j-holt 

I noted in another thread a few months ago that the bennies that a job offers are a big deal that is often unmentioned.  Looking at https://careers.wa.gov/benefits.html tells me that the holiday/vacation/sick day allowance is better than the typical private side job. Probably the medical/dental is a lot better than the average, too. And more. So the money might be a little on the light side, but the benefit package probably makes up for it.  

RADAR
(@dougie)
5,000+ posts

sorry I completely screwed up your job posting

Think positive!

You keep bringing it to the top...

Page 2 / 2
Share: