Carlson BRx7 UHF Ra...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Carlson BRx7 UHF Radio Range

PriceSurveying
(@pricesurveying)
FNG Member

We are looking to potentially purchase a Carlson BRx7 base/rover system after a recent demo. We were pleased with the results under canopy. However, does anyone have insight and/or experience on the range of the 1 watt UHF radios on these units. Our Topcon units can get at least 2 miles consistently with the internal UHF radios. We were curious what to expect with the Carlson units before we purchase.

Topic starter Posted : August 14, 2021 7:13 pm
jim.cox
(@jimcox)
1,000+ posts Supporter

For UHF, rule of thumb is 1km per watt

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2021 8:52 pm
Michael Hyman
(@michael-hyman)
FNG Member

My experience with the BRx7 internal radios is 2.5~2.75mi on the best project sites and 1mi~1.5mi on challenging regions where radio interference is minimal or terrain is the limiting factor.  Radio settings have more to do with distance that most realize.  I used a system where a local municipal airport was causing problems and limited my distance down to 4,500ft.  Once I changed to a different frequency and protocol all was good.  Also had a situation where a regional state radio was causing problems, once changed all was working as expected.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2021 8:14 am

PriceSurveying
(@pricesurveying)
FNG Member

@michael-hyman 

I appreciate your feedback! I was hoping some users were getting in the 2 mile range in good to optimal conditions. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 16, 2021 4:20 pm
BM-Nolan
(@bm-nolan)
FNG Member

I tested the S631 (BrX7 before Carlson rebrands the Hemisphere) and we got 3-5 km in town with no line of sight. Out of town in open top prairie I can get 11 km out of the internal radios with line of sight. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2021 7:43 am
Victor
(@victor)
10+ posts Member

@michael-hyman I recently purchased a Brx7 B&R. I have had great success under tree canapy and about 3000+- ft of range. I haven't really tried pushing more distance then that. But I'm on my 4/5 week with the units and just last week I notice my receiver going DGPS after 15-30 mins into a job. Last week was periodic, but this week it started happening even more and more. At to some point I just had to shut it down and go to my backup B&R. (SP80). I want to say I am getting interference from something or someone near by, or just the location i am in (dead spot). I did change my channel and no results. I wish I knew more as far as changing the settings....... any tips or tricks that you can suggest?

Thank You.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2021 11:36 am
Brad Ott liked

John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
1,000+ posts Member

Not brand specific, but I would recommend using a good antenna (not a rubber duck antenna) mounted as high as possible at the base to get the best possible range.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2021 9:35 am
goodgps
(@goodgps)
100+ posts Member

2.3 miles with the UHF radios.  Put the base up as high as it will go and still be steady.  The only trouble I had was when the antennas were mis-marked and were for the wrong fcy.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2021 8:32 am
JMH4825
(@jmh4825)
50+ posts Member

As far as fix in canopy, I’ve struggled much past 0.5 mile.  The closer the base to site, the better the performance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2021 9:48 am
Brad Ott liked

Share: