Share:
Notifications
Clear all

NC VRS/RTN Issues

ncsudirtman
(@ncsudirtman)
200+ posts Member

Anybody else experienced issues with the VRS/real-time network that the NC Geodetic survey has established? I have tried connecting multiple times since saturday (6/18) with various issues. At first I thought it was my verizon MiFi but I even tried it last night standing in the back yard with the data collector connected to my home's WiFi. Issues will range from:

1. an error message that says "the requested address is not valid in its context. please check the target host details are correct"
  2. to establishing a connection just fine on the first try, dumping the initialization then trying to start it back up within 5 minutes but without any success
  3. error message saying "unable to connect to the base"

I thought at first maybe it was an internet issue but my connection to the internet & the data collector seems solid (trimble yuma 2 with trimble access 2017.23 and a Trimble R6 Model 4 receiver). I checked the IP address/URL under survey styles and it's exactly the same one the network administrator recommended (the actual web address https://rtn.nc.gov/ and not the others which are numerical addresses for individual ports from what I have always been told). Anybody else used the network lately and experienced any issues? Hoping it's not an issue with my equipment as it's always performed flawlessly for me

Topic starter Posted : June 21, 2022 9:08 am
VA LS 2867
(@va-ls-2867)
200+ posts Member

Have you checked with Bart to see if there is maintenance going on or have you tried the backup ip address?

199.90.60.130 is the backup ip

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2022 10:14 am
ncsudirtman
(@ncsudirtman)
200+ posts Member

@va-ls-2867 

Thanks I will try the backup IP address first. I have pestered Bart several times over the last couple years so I feel bad bugging him. Their website didn't advertise any planned maintenance (they'll post the twitter posts on there too in the right hand column). Hoping that I can resolve this myself

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 21, 2022 11:16 am

ncsudirtman
(@ncsudirtman)
200+ posts Member

Update - Visited the site around 5pm after a meeting & somehow it initialized on the first try. I’m not sure what’s going on but if it persists I’ll post back up. 

So question for those using Trimble access - I was pushing my luck while it was initialized & set a GPS control at about 50’ from base of some 80’ pines. Managed to get a good 3min/180epoch observation, stored, then spun the rod 180* and started another shot but after about 90seconds Access noted there was some float & asked if I wanted to store from the last good shot - I accepted it & checked the 2 observations but the vertical was much higher than I’d prefer - 0.32’ so I started a 3 observation but told it to use the last point # for the bad observation. It ran the full 3 mins & at the end it of course said it was out of tolerance but instead of storing the old point number it registered the point as the next available. Is this common practice for Trimble Access when points out of tolerance? Never had that happen with a GPS observation as I am normally very picky about where I place GPS control

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 21, 2022 5:12 pm
Rover83
(@rover83)
1,000+ posts Member
Posted by: @ncsudirtman

So question for those using Trimble access - I was pushing my luck while it was initialized & set a GPS control at about 50’ from base of some 80’ pines. Managed to get a good 3min/180epoch observation, stored, then spun the rod 180* and started another shot but after about 90seconds Access noted there was some float & asked if I wanted to store from the last good shot - I accepted it & checked the 2 observations but the vertical was much higher than I’d prefer - 0.32’ so I started a 3 observation but told it to use the last point # for the bad observation. It ran the full 3 mins & at the end it of course said it was out of tolerance but instead of storing the old point number it registered the point as the next available. Is this common practice for Trimble Access when points out of tolerance? Never had that happen with a GPS observation as I am normally very picky about where I place GPS control

When an observation is out of tolerance, there is a drop-down list for you to choose from, with several options:

Rename is the only one that will store it as a different point name. It will default to Rename if a duplicate point is out of tolerance and auto-averaging is either turned off or the observation is outside the auto-average distance.

In any case, all of those options with the exception of Discard will store the raw data and you can always choose what to do with it later. Want to average it with another point, or split it out from an average point, or delete it altogether? Do that in the Point Manager in the field, or in post-processing. It will always be in the database, which is dynamically updated when you make a change to an observation.

All the options are explained on the Access help site.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2022 6:25 am
ncsudirtman
(@ncsudirtman)
200+ posts Member

@rover83 thank you for that - the graphic user interface for my older version of Trimble Access (2017.23) looks much different but I will investigate to see if it offers those same options that you mentioned. I'd like to get more familiar with doing more things within the data collector rather than having to export everything to the laptop - especially for simple things like staking out lines or arcs. I really need to read up or find some instructional videos on all this as it seems time-consuming to export it all to CAD only to create points then export them & import back into the data collector haha. I know that I'm losing a good half hour to hour that way 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 22, 2022 12:28 pm
Rover83 liked

Terminus-NC
(@terminus-nc)
50+ posts Member

We had to clear the GPS onboard cache pretty regularly on an older GPS unit we had. When it was overfilled with data, we would get multiple odd errors like you mentioned above. I am not sure if Trimble has the same functions internally, but I would assume they do.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 2:36 am
ncsudirtman
(@ncsudirtman)
200+ posts Member

@terminus-nc

I will look into that as well - didn't occur to me but it's probably not a bad idea to do it either way

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 23, 2022 7:52 am
Share: