Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Signal Jamming

Page 2 / 3

Mike Marks
(@mike-marks)
500+ posts

I've had loss of GPS signals in an open sky situation near military bases and major electrical grid facilities.  But Federal law prohibits the operation, marketing, or sale of any type of jamming equipment that interferes with authorized radio communications, including Global Positioning Systems (GPS).  If you have reason to believe that someone is using a jammer you may file a complaint or submit an inquiry through the FCC Consumer Complaint Center by visiting the FCC Consumer Complaint Center at www.consumercomplaints.fcc.gov 

It's no joke for them and they *will* follow up with an investigation with authority to arrest.  Twice in the last 20 years I've been accosted by FCC enforcement in full regalia including body armor and sidearms in my boat's marina with a goofy looking handheld antenna searching for an illegal 1.5kw marine VHF booster which was stuck in transmit & splattering nearby airport comms.  Turned out it was a recently arrived Mexican sport fishing boat who had no idea the rules were different in the US.  The other sitch' was some guy running his ham rig on the marine SSB channels without a license.

It makes sense GPS was jammed but GLONASS came through given GLONASS is a multifrequency system and would require a different more complex jammer to bollix it. GPS jammers are small, available on the black market and can be powered by a car cigarette lighter DC supply and jam GPS signals for miles around their deployment. Witness:

GPS Jammer

dmyhill
Supporter
(@dmyhill)
1,000+ posts
Williwaw
(@williwaw)
1,000+ posts

Maybe Putin was there playing a round of golf. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47786248

2 Replies
GeeOddMike
(@geeoddmike)

1,000+ posts

@williwaw 

https://novatel.com/tech-talk/velocity-magazine/velocity-2013/understanding-the-difference-between-anti-spoofing-and-anti-jamming

While jamming is certainly a problem, spoofing is arguably worse. In the first case, no data is logged, in the latter bad data could be. 

Bill93
(@bill93)

5,000+ posts
Posted by: @geeoddmike

While spoofing is worse because you may not know about it right away, it takes sophisticated equipment, whereas jamming can be done very simply as shown by the device illustrated below in this thread.

Snowshoes
(@snowshoes)
10+ posts

Worked at a trucking terminal where the drivers were using these.  Apparently company policy was fleet tracking that monitored speed etc. and this was their way to avoid being tracked.

Definitely made it hard to use the RTK.  Would instantly lose all satellites once one came on site.

Doc2

4 Replies
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

1,000+ posts

@snowshoes 

Great.  Nice to see they are finding ways to circumvent the regulations for safety etc.  

Shelby H. Griggs PLS
(@shelby-h-griggs-pls)

500+ posts

@jitterboogie and if I had to guess (since I have a CDL and drove for a few years), they don't speak English as their first language, sorry but some of the immigrants cheat, that is the way it worked in the old country.

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

1,000+ posts

@shelby-h-griggs-pls 

I wasn't so much worried about where they're from it's just the fact that the federal government let's this kind of crap come in through the ports of entry because this would have had to been inspected by a customs container inspection and it couldn't make it past the hey this is suspicious test

Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)

1,000+ posts

@snowshoes 

That answers my friend's question as to why someone would want to block satellite signals.

Jim in AZ
Topic starter
(@jim-in-az)
1,000+ posts

I submitted a report to the FCC and received an email thanking me and informing me that they do not investigate individual complaints. Government helps me once again...

4 Replies
Hi-staker
(@hi-staker)

200+ posts

@jim-in-az

GIF

So do you have to have multiple surveyors file complaints? A company/corporation file a complaint?

BStrand
(@bstrand)

1,000+ posts

@hi-staker 

I'm hoping that means they need 2 or 3 people to complain and not that they blow off all complaints from individuals.

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

1,000+ posts

@bstrand 

Remember...

This is the same FCC that can't and doesn't punish the spam phone call people.

Ya dig??!?

😆 😉 😎 

BStrand
(@bstrand)

1,000+ posts

@jitterboogie 

Yeah really.  I called verizon early on in the spam phone call era to complain and the guy was like "Well sir, these calls are coming from the internet and we can't do anything about that..."

And of course I was thinking "Really... multi-billion dollar company that can route millions of calls 24/7 around the globe, powerless against some randoms with a tablet and starbucks wifi?"

I think they just didn't want to spend the money to stop it.  Now that's it's become such a plague they can no longer ignore it. 🙄 

Page 2 / 3
Share: