Trimble R4 NMEA to ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Trimble R4 NMEA to android via serial - usb.

tonyduky
(@tonyduky)
FNG Member

Working in archaeology.

We always do our survey work using local RTK with a base rover on a fixed point.

I m wondering if someone ever managed to get NMEA stream from an external gps rover such as trimble r4 through serial port (rs232) to an android device through usb. Would a rs232 to usb-c cable do the trick? I heard an android app like gps connector can read nmea stream from usb and use it as mock location on android.

My goal would be to get the corrected rtk position from the trimble R4 mobile (local rtk corrected by radio) directly to Qfield using a third party app as mock location so that i can work directly on qfield instead of trimble access for my survey (no more data export and import and so on).

Is this possible?

Thanks a lot guys!

Topic starter Posted : August 3, 2022 12:23 pm
mike1202 liked
jim.cox
(@jimcox)
1,000+ posts Supporter

Why use a cable? The R4 does bluetooth

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2022 12:36 pm
tonyduky
(@tonyduky)
FNG Member

@jimcox I'm not sure you can configure the R4 to stream NMEA through bluetooth while using local RTK for corrections through radio. Meaning :  if i disconnect the bluetooth from the Juno controller to the mobile rover, is the R4 still getting corrections from the radio and able to stream local rtk corrected NMEA? My base rover is R8S so no Ntrip caster inside...That's why i want to use cable.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 3, 2022 2:07 pm

jim.cox
(@jimcox)
1,000+ posts Supporter

Actually you are right - while, theoretically, it will work configuring it is going to be a right pain.

If you had an R8-S or newer receiver it would be easy to setup and get going using the webui.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2022 2:56 pm
mike1202
(@mike1202)
50+ posts Supporter

@tonyduky 

This sounded like a good project to test with my Trimble R4.

I do NOT have local RTK and my R4 Model 1 has no internal Modem and no internal Radio.

I used CORS VRS Network NTRIP connection.

1. Software Trimble "GPS Configurator" to set NMEA GGA Output 1Hz on Bluetooth Port 2.

https://kb.unavco.org/kb/article/trimble-gps-configurator-all-versions-331.html

Maybe Trimble Configuration Toolbox will also work.

https://kb.unavco.org/kb/article/trimble-configuration-toolbox-all-versions-160.html

2. Bluetooth pairing (0000) Samsung Android smartphone with R4 antenna.

3.I used Lefebure NTRIP Client which has also mock location feature. Maybe wont work for you because of local rtk corrected by radio. Configure Lefebure NTRIP Client with NTRIP settings, allow mock location, get position from exernal reciever.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lefebure.ntripclient&hl=en&gl=US

4.In Android "Developer Options" (German "Entwickleroptionen") allow mock location from Lefebure NTRIP Client.

5. in Qfield positionig Settings use "Internal Antenna"--> Qfield showed accuracy 0,02m with RTK FIX.

Next for me will be to find any suitable WMS WFS Services to use in Qfield (only know QGIS unil now). 😀 

You have internal Radio in R4? Maybe configure it with Trimble GPS Configurator / GPS Toolbox to recieve local corrections and calculate FIX position in R4. Then use Lefebure NTRIP Client to get NMEA position (without use of NTRIP configuration, if that works?) to your android phone and use mock location to deliver Positon to Qfield.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2022 9:44 am
tonyduky
(@tonyduky)
FNG Member

@mike1202 Thanks a lot for the test!

I already tried this and yes its working. You actually dont need NMEA stream for this. You can just pair the R4 to your android device and use lefebure to configure the ntrip connections directly

My main question would still be regarding the use of this with local RTK. I never used gps configurator I might try that. Is there options to configure local rtk inside that software? I dont have my R4 with me at the moment.

Thanks a lot guys

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 7, 2022 2:17 am

Share: