Trimble R8-2 issues...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Trimble R8-2 issues (Parts and Service)

Firestix
(@firestix)
100+ posts Member

My R-8 unit has started acting up.  I was having some intermittent issues with it powering on.  It was obvious that the power switch was a little temperamental.  Now, when I place a new battery in the unit, the power, beacon, and satellite indicator LEDs illuminate for a short while then turn off.  Followed by a quick "3 blink" from the battery LED.   I've called 2 repair shops and they've told me that they cannot get parts because the unit has been discontinued.   Fair enough.  Right now, I don't have the funds to put 5 - 10K towards another unit.  However, both times the techs told me that it could be the membrane switch (which are notorious for failing) or the Mother Board. 

In and effort to search for parts, I came across a site that actually sells both.  The membrane switch is roughly $40 and a new Mother Board is a little more than $1,500.  Here's the catch ... They're based out of China.  The name of the company is Kargo-Tech.  Has anyone ever heard of them?   If so, are they legit?  https://kargo-tech.com/

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Topic starter Posted : June 23, 2022 6:36 am
WA-ID Surveyor
(@wa-id-surveyor)
500+ posts Member

You'd be $ ahead by putting that money towards a new purchase.  Trying to repair GPS equipment with off brand parts from China is just asking for trouble. 

No offense, but if you can't afford 5-10k for new equipment in today's economic survey climate you should triple your rates.  Not sure what you would get to replace an R8 for 5-10k.   We just received quotes for an additional R12i setups and we're looking at well North of 60k.

We still have our R8s and only keep them around for backup.  Once they die, they are going in the trash or a bookshelf.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by WA-ID Surveyor
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 12:34 pm
Firestix
(@firestix)
100+ posts Member

@wa-id-surveyor 

I understand what you're saying.  But it's just me and my son working in the evenings and weekends.  Plus, survey prices in WA-ID are probably a fair bit different than in rural NC.  (Not that they should be, but the "low ballers" are prolific here.)   I appreciate your input and acknowledge your points.  However, unless I can pay cash for equipment, I usually don't purchase it.... and I'm fresh out of 60k lying around.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 23, 2022 12:46 pm

Share: