TSC2 & Wifi connect...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

TSC2 & Wifi connection issues

Firestix
(@firestix)
100+ posts Member

I have a Trimble R8-2 and TSC2 that I use in conjunction with a MiFi device to run VRS.   I know that the TSC2 and MiFi devices are compatible because I've used them numerous times together.  However, sometimes the TSC2 just does not want to connect to the MiFi device.  It seems to happen when there are several other WiFi devices available in area.  I've, literally, pulled up to a job and sat there 20 minutes trying to get the stupid things to connect.   So, a few questions:

1:  Has anyone else experienced this issue? (If so how did you solve it?)

2:  Does having so many different WiFi signals available cause this problem, or is this just a coincidence?

3:  Are there any settings that will allow the TSC2 to selectively connect to devices that I identify?  (for example:  only to connect to wifi devices by MAC ID) 

Believe me, this intermittent connection issue can quickly turn a short easy job into a stress filled hassle with wasted time and extra field visits.

Thanks in advance!

Topic starter Posted : June 29, 2020 6:12 am
Topic Tags
Mark Silver
(@mark-silver)
500+ posts Vendor

Can the TSC2 'see' the MiFi, or is the MiFi not listed at all?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2020 6:22 am
John Hamilton
(@john-hamilton)
1,000+ posts Member

I had that happen often with a TSC2, and even with a TSC3 (not as frequent, though). Usually the TSC3 will connect using WPA, but sometimes it tries and fails, over and over. Rebooting the TSC3 will usually fix it. 

One thing to do is to remove the wifi security (i.e. make it an open connection). If you are out in the middle of nowhere, no problem. When I had to do that in a populated area, I just turned on MAC filtering on the the wifi device, nothing needs to be done on the data collector other than make it an open connection. I didn't really care if someone could see my transmissions (which they could as it was open and not encrypted), I just didn't want them to be able to use the connection. To do this you need to know the mac address of your data collector. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2020 6:28 am

Rover83
(@rover83)
500+ posts Member
Posted by: @john-hamilton

One thing to do is to remove the wifi security (i.e. make it an open connection).

This was the remedy for me as well, when I was using a MiFi device. But I just changed the settings to allow a single connection to the MiFi. I don't think I ever had anyone connect to it before I did...

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2020 6:56 am
Firestix
(@firestix)
100+ posts Member

@john-hamilton  @Rover83

I've already set the MiFi to open with no password.  And when it works, it's perfect.  It's just that there are times when it will see the MiFi (along with a number of devices in the area) but simply will not connect to MiFi.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 29, 2020 10:40 am
Firestix
(@firestix)
100+ posts Member

@mark-silver

It sees the MiFi.  And 90% of the time, connects to it without incident.  But sometimes it will see the MiFi (along with a number of devices in the area) but simply will not connect to it.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 29, 2020 10:41 am

Sankofaman
(@sankofaman)
FNG Member

What kind of mifi brand are you using? I want to use my TSC2 to run VRS in the same way. Please let me know the exact model. Thanks a bunch!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2020 3:05 am
Share: