Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Hello from Alaska

Ponch
(@ponch)
FNG Member

Hello,

I am not, I'm embarrassed to say, a Surveyor. I am a Geologist who does a lot of surveying at the gold mine in Alaska. I have joined your community to hopefully ask a few questions to help me in that pursuit. Feel free to pick my brain about gold mining if you're curious. 

~Ponch

Topic starter Posted : June 20, 2022 1:47 pm
Brad Ott and Wendell liked
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Member

Welcome.  Is that the one where a giant water cannon is used to loosen everything?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2022 3:36 pm
Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)
5,000+ posts Supporter

Welcome, friend.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2022 5:58 am

Ponch
(@ponch)
FNG Member

@holy-cow Not at our mine. I've heard of that but not actually seen it used. I feel like water control would be a challenge. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 21, 2022 8:47 am
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Member

@ponch 

Was watching PBS a few nights ago when I couldn't sleep.  I came into the middle of a story focused on global warming.  The primary speaker was traveling all over explaining what was happening at different places around the globe.  He was in Antarctica, Greenland and quite a number of other places as the show progressed.  One stop was in Alaska somewhere showing the use of hydraulic mining to melt the face of a gold-containing glacier.  The focus was on the bones and fossils they found which indicated the climate so-many years ago had been similar to northern Florida today.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2022 2:53 pm
Share: