Clear all

Jonathan from Indiana

Page 1 / 2

jawats
Topic starter
(@jawats)
FNG

Hello all!

To be up front about it, I am not a surveyor by trade. I was a real estate attorney for 15 years, and now I teach English in high school, as well as property-related undergrad and law classes as an adjunct.

So, why am I here? I'm also a semi-obsessional photographer, and enjoy learning about and working with tripods. Recently, I purchased an old wooden one from an auction with a unique "spud" on top. My usual photographic forum members think it's an old transit surveyor's tripod, but do not know more about it.

I am planning to make a post here to see if anyone knows more about it.

Thank you!

--Jonathan

11 Replies
Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts

Many old tripods have a 3 1/2" x 8 threads per inch mount that was pretty standard for open-frame transits in their day.  A few instrument/tripod brands had proprietary mounts. For several decades now the standard has been 5/8" x 11 threads per inch.  Usually it will be hollow so the instrument or tribrach can sight down to the ground point it is set over.  I think you would be able to find a 5/8 to 1/4" adapter for camera use.

2 Replies
jawats
(@jawats)

FNG

@bill93 Here is a photo of the tripod and the unique top.

user112220 pic136584 1628021186
Bill93
(@bill93)

5,000+ posts
Posted by: @jawats

Well, I have to say I've never seen one of those.  It looks like maybe it could easily be converted to another mounting for cameras, though.

Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts
IMG 20210804 074834
IMG 20210804 074910

Is it like either of these?

N

1 Reply
jawats
(@jawats)

FNG

Brad Ott
Supporter
(@brad-ott)
5,000+ posts

Welcome, neighbor.

1 Reply
jawats
(@jawats)

FNG

@brad-ott Thank you!

FL/GA
Supporter
(@flga-2-2)
5,000+ posts

Welcome! Join us in our conversations. Sharing your background knowledge may be an asset to others, as well as the others here doing the same for you. Plus we have fun and learn at the same time. 😎 

1 Reply
jawats
(@jawats)

FNG

@flga-2-2 Thank you! I enjoy the communities of learning, and look forward to sharing and learning here.

Page 1 / 2
Share: