Surveyor with 20+ y...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Surveyor with 20+ years experience looking to move to Austin, TX...from North Coastal, BC!!

sean2me
(@sean2me)
FNG Member

I am thinking of moving back to the US, my Wife went to University in Austin, and has lots of family there.  Just looking for information on moving out there.  I have 20+ years of experience doing a variety of things.  Lately I've been involved with precise industrial type surveys, lining up rails and beams, anchor bolts, some legal, lots of laser scanning using Leica products/Cyclone.  Previous to my time back here in Canada I was a surveyor in Massachusetts, Washington (state), and Arizona.  I am an RLS Az, PLS Ut, and CFedS.

I've also got a lot of experience working on highway construction, remote surveying, working in highly restricted safety focused work environments with all sorts of fun safety equipment.

I have a good job at the moment, but after 8 years here in a semi-isolated Northern BC town (small) am looking for a change.

I have a Bachelor of Technology in Geomatics/GIS and can work within the office environment or out in the field.

Just looking for any leads, or ideas of what its like working in Austin.  For instance what might the pay be like there?

If this is better posted somewhere else, please let me know.

Thanks,

Me!

Topic starter Posted : February 14, 2020 9:51 am
Wendell liked
StLSurveyor
(@stlsurveyor)
1,000+ posts Supporter

www.sam.biz

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 14, 2020 10:07 am
Squirltech
(@squirl)
500+ posts Member

www.sam.biz

We're hiring! DM me for more details or questions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 14, 2020 10:07 am

StLSurveyor
(@stlsurveyor)
1,000+ posts Supporter

@squirl

we must have hit reply at the exact same time 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 14, 2020 10:09 am
flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)
1,000+ posts Supporter

you'll have a mountain of options- i'd recommend not jumping at the first thing that comes up.

and this is with all due respect to Travis and every other person he works with (of which I've worked with a bunch at various places over the years).  if a company has been hanging a help wanted sign in every trade magazine and website CONSTANTLY for the last 20 years, well...

there is NO shortage of gigs here.  get your $, get the job you want- it will be available.  without a license, and with your experience and flexibility, there is no reason you shouldn't be at $80-90K/yr on a 40/hr week.  if you can and want to sit for the test here in short order, you'll probably make more.  anyone who offers you less than that (and there will be plenty who will) is woefully out of touch and/or not somebody you should be working for.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 16, 2020 9:57 am
RADAR
(@dougie)
5,000+ posts Member

Why would you want to leave God's Country?

Image result for God's Country north coastal BC

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 16, 2020 10:13 am
Jitterboogie and JPH liked

sean2me
(@sean2me)
FNG Member

@dougie Where are you located?  I live in a boom/bust town, and have missed civilization.  We have no movie theatres, nice restaurants, my wifes family is in Austin, and it costs a large fortune to live here.  I agree, its Gods country!  Some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere, and I have seen a lot of it via helicopter.  We routinely have Grizzly and Black bears roaming thru our yard, and maybe a mountain lion.  I love it, but its isolated!!  Also, this winter has been challenging!  Meters of snow!  Winter here is a confusing affair, sometimes cold, sometimes not.  We can have meters of snow on the ground and its pouring rain...  Ughh, and I have to work in that!!  Give me one or the other, not everything all at once!!!  There are no mountains in Austin, but it has some nice rolling hills, some of the best, if not the best food I've tasted anywhere.  Also all the FREE heat and humidity you could possibly want during the summer months!  Here are some photos from over the past month!

Moving from here is going to be like flying to the moon, so just trying to send out feelers at the moment.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 16, 2020 10:33 am
RADAR liked
sean2me
(@sean2me)
FNG Member

@flyin-solo Thanks for your response, sounds like you work in the Austin area?  What do you do?  How do you like working there?  I've always heard good things about the area being more economically stable, even thru the great recession.  Ideally I would like to get licensed, most of my last several years has been focused on industrial engineering surveys.  Lining up rails, plumbing columns, setting design points, etc.  Work I love doing, but I also loved legal surveying to.

Maybe you can point me to where local surveyors get their survey plats?

Can you recommend companies to look out for?  We've had several large Texas/American companies coming to where I currently live.  We had KBR, and Fluor here, I think those are Texas companies.  We've certainly had no shortage of Texans here, not including my wife.  We also had Bechtel...

Thanks for your response, and advice!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 16, 2020 10:44 am
RADAR
(@dougie)
5,000+ posts Member

@sean2me

I live here, in the beautiful city of Puyallup WA!

We do enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, here in the Pacific Northwest! But that's not to say Austin TX isn't pretty...

My little sister lives there.

I'm not sure I could handle the heat; you can dress for the cold; you can only take off so much, for the heat.

Stay cool my friend; I'm sure you'll do great, where ever you end up!

Dougie

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2020 8:23 am
JPH liked

Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
5,000+ posts Member
Posted by: @dougie

Why would you want to leave God's Country?

You think it rains a lot in Oregon/Washington? - well, you ain't been to north coastal B.C. Just about the only time it isn't raining is when it's cold enough to snow. Which is quite often. Been there, got the t-shirt.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2020 10:42 pm
JPH
 JPH
(@jph)
1,000+ posts Member

@dougie

I'm not sure I could handle the heat; you can dress for the cold; you can only take off so much, for the heat.

No truer words have ever been spoken, as far as I'm concerned

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2020 4:47 am
RADAR liked
Share: