12 Posts
5 Users
15 Likes
BC.Surveyor
(@bc-surveyor)
Member Member
Topic starter

Hello,

I'm looking for a better (more useful to them) way to deliver point clouds to my clients. Right now we typically send them the .las via dropbox with instructions on how to download CloudCompare. We're hoping they go to the trouble of doing that and even then, what can they really do with it?

I recently came across Potree, it allows a user to upload their data set to a web server and then send a link that some can access that pulls up the point cloud and allows them to cut X-sections, pull heights, areas, volumes, angles, distances, ect. I see it being useful if the client had a quick question like, what's the approx. height of this building or this tree canopy, or the area of this gravel driveway or volume of this pile, ect.

I still haven't figured out how to upload the data to a web server, this is all pretty new to me, if anyone has advice on that front I'm all ears.

Does anyone use this? Or do you have a different method for delivering point clouds in this kind of format to your clients that may be better?

This topic was modified 2 months ago by BC.Surveyor

Posted : August 7, 2022 7:00 am
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
Supporter Supporter

point clouds are huge, so I guess the first question is are they just having you collect the data so they can process it for their own needs?

Posted : August 7, 2022 7:38 am
papathvas
(@papathvas)
Member Member

Most of the clients just need to measure distanses, or some volumes.

If they know how to process, they probabaly have their own  drone/scanner

Posted : August 7, 2022 9:39 am

beuckie
(@beuckie)
Member Member

Or i deliver a recap or i deliver a Ripano, that's a webversion of the project made by my Riegl.

When it is a faro project i deliver a webshare.

I hardly ever deliver a laz or other file formats as most don't have a clue.

Posted : August 7, 2022 10:36 am
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
Supporter Supporter

we handed off our recap deliverables to the engineers because they don't have time to play in the clouds, and they appreciated that for sure.

scan-pointcloud- C3D/Recap(QAQC) TO ENGINEERING then they used Infraworks and or Revit if the architect was involved.

Posted : August 7, 2022 11:05 am
Rover83
(@rover83)
Member Member

Web-based viewer is the way to go. I've used Trimble Clarity in the past but it doesn't seem to have caught on much here in the USA.

Otherwise, FTP or cloud storage for transferring raw files.

Posted : August 7, 2022 2:06 pm

BC.Surveyor
(@bc-surveyor)
Member Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @beuckie

Or i deliver a recap or i deliver a Ripano, that's a webversion of the project made by my Riegl.

Are these scanner dependent? 

When you say you deliver a recap are you talking about an .rcp file from Autodesk Recap?

Posted : August 7, 2022 3:22 pm
BC.Surveyor
(@bc-surveyor)
Member Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @jitterboogie

we handed off our recap deliverables to the engineers because they don't have time to play in the clouds, and they appreciated that for sure.

scan-pointcloud- C3D/Recap(QAQC) TO ENGINEERING then they used Infraworks and or Revit if the architect was involved.

The issue with me doing this is my clients would need recap, the vast majority don't. And tbh Potree seems to have more tools than recap.

Posted : August 7, 2022 3:23 pm
BC.Surveyor
(@bc-surveyor)
Member Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @rover83

Web-based viewer is the way to go. I've used Trimble Clarity in the past but it doesn't seem to have caught on much here in the USA.

Otherwise, FTP or cloud storage for transferring raw files.

This looks quite similar to what I shared, not too crazy at $3100/year for 40 projects. $80/project

Posted : August 7, 2022 3:26 pm

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
Supporter Supporter

@bc-surveyor 

Duly Noted, its a weird wild market place we live in too, go figure

Posted : August 7, 2022 4:20 pm
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
Supporter Supporter

@rover83 

Clarity is a hard pill for non-tech people to swallow, and IT headaches for those that are willing to go that route. 

I used it a couple of different places, and I agree, why do Trimble anywhere else, but its all about buy in and willingness to invest for the future and go withit, rather than fight it every step of the way and wonder why you're behind.

YMMV

Posted : August 7, 2022 4:22 pm
beuckie
(@beuckie)
Member Member

Posted by: @bc-surveyor
Posted by: @beuckie

Are these scanner dependent? 

When you say you deliver a recap are you talking about an .rcp file from Autodesk Recap?

Yes, Ripano and webshare are scaner dependant. Scene webshare can be created through an import of other scandata though. 

The recaps i create are ones without bubble view but decimated ones at 5mm, 10mm and 25mm for easy viewing.

A recap straight from a fls or ptx will be very large in size and heavy too load. I also don't like the bubble view Recap delivers. Viewing for your client will be free as reacp standalone is free. Only the pro version has to be paid for but this is not necessary.

Now other software platforms like Pointcab can also produce viewers from your scandata. There are endless possibillities.

Here is a link from a Ripano project

https://www.3dlaserscanning.be/21014/21014.html

this is a scene webshare

https://www.3dlaserscanning.be/2_rumst_ceiling/ws2go.html

Posted : August 8, 2022 3:43 am