5 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
Surveyor_BB
(@surveyor_bb)
Member Member
Topic starter

Hi Guys, 

We're thinking of getting a drone for our survey department and have been inundated with a wealth of information.

We plan on getting an RTK Drone and use one or our existing RTK licenses out of a spare GPS kit. 

Would you advise using Ground control points still? I'm thinking just as a check

Is there any official guidance on the amount of ground control points needed for a survey? (spacing, amount etc)

Thanks 

P

Posted : September 20, 2022 1:40 am
VA LS 2867
(@va-ls-2867)
Member Member

Having some check points is always helpful.  If you have large elevation relief, have a point up high and on at the low end.

Posted : September 20, 2022 7:50 am
Jered McGrath PLS
(@jered-mcgrath-pls)
Member Member

Without Ground Control points there is no way to prove the data's accuracy to the ground. You may have a great set of data but need to be able to prove its better than other data sets. My humble opinion..... We have about 13 pilots  (2 pilots, 11 Part 107) and are doing 100+ UAV projects a year, and each and every project a PLS will review and oversee the capture area, GCP layout, control and QA/QC with final separate ground control confidence checkpoints.  This is our typical workflow.

Posted : September 20, 2022 7:55 am
Tim V. PLS reacted

SPMPLS
(@spmpls)
Member Member
bobwesterman
(@bobwesterman)
Member Member

Posted by: @jered-mcgrath-pls

Without Ground Control points there is no way to prove the data's accuracy to the ground. You may have a great set of data but need to be able to prove its better than other data sets. My humble opinion..... We have about 13 pilots  (2 pilots, 11 Part 107) and are doing 100+ UAV projects a year, and each and every project a PLS will review and oversee the capture area, GCP layout, control and QA/QC with final separate ground control confidence checkpoints.  This is our typical workflow.

We're just getting into scanning and drone work.

Would you know of any good links on procedures that I can forward to our people specifying what types and how many GCP are recommended for varying types of drone or scanning surveys? 

Posted : September 20, 2022 8:04 am