C3D and Leica

14 Posts
11 Users
5 Likes
(@hristo)
Member Member
Topic starter

Hi Everybody 

I'm using CS20 with GS18 and TS12.What is the best way to import data in civil3d prefix database,   field to finish, for gps and instrument surveys. Trying  to avoid typing B and E manually.   

Posted : January 29, 2023 3:43 pm
(@robertusa)
Member Member

Import coordinate file. What is B and E?

Posted : January 29, 2023 4:51 pm
(@absurveyor18548)
Member Member

survey database. You’ll have to set up a figure prefix and linework code sets which should match your feature library and layering standard.  However, you’ll still need to begin and end your strings somehow… whether that be a B and E when your In The field or some other random character, whatever is your preference, but cad, and I assume your data collector don’t know when to end figures unless you tell it.  C3D will start figures just like tbc or Leica without a B because it knows that code is a line, however, the ending and separation of the different lines is where the E (or whatever character you use) is needed.  

Posted : January 29, 2023 5:00 pm
Jitterboogie reacted

Carlson BRx7 GNSS Receiver

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
Supporter Supporter

Not sure how you're getting a beginning and end or close(cls) unless you just carry one single line and don't do anything else.

The only other way would be to name everything and keeping track of that would be like Rainman savant silly and not work for most people....i.e. 

TBC 1

Fl1 

Lip1

oh look another break line set 

Tbc2 

Fl2

lip2

until you use all your sanity naming each and every time you're starting a new break line or featue...

B and E aren't that hard to type

You can add a prefix in trimble for names but I'm not sure about Leica and still less sure if it will will output in the csv file to allow you to effectively import I to the survey database mentioned above....

Posted : January 29, 2023 5:16 pm
JPH reacted
Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
Member Member

Posted by: @robertusa

What is B and E?

These are the commands you add to descriptors in C3d to begin and end lines. An F2f thing.  Also works in Carlson with the appropriate customization.

To the OPs question - you can do coding and linework in Captivate and then export a dxf. But I suspect that you will find that to be far more work than coding for C3d to do the linework. 

Posted : January 29, 2023 6:30 pm
Rover83
(@rover83)
Member Member

Do you not have Infinity to post-process, QC, and adjust your raw data?

If you already have a codelist set up for the CS20, that can be used to process linework in Infinity.

Posted : January 30, 2023 6:14 am
John Putnam reacted

John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
Member Member

@norman-oklahoma

Oh contraire, Captivate's linework is quite simple and it is really nice to see in the DC as you map away.  I can literally run hundreds of lines per code at the same time.  The only real limit is my memory at this point.

As for curve command, you can choose what you want output on the second page of 'Coding' under 'Setting/Customization'.  Like @Rover83 suggested, I adjust, process and QC in Infinity then export lines and points to C3D.  Captivate does have a C3D xml stylesheet for direct export.  I have not used it and could not tell you what in includes.  You could also create a custom FRT file in Leica's Format Manager software if you have access or just specify the ascii export on the CS20. I think the line commands are part of the 'Code Information' line.

Posted : January 30, 2023 6:42 am
(@wa-id-surveyor)
Member Member

We perform a lot of topo weekly and never use the B and E structure.  We find just coding the new line to be much simpler, TBC1 TBC2, EP1, etc... 

Then just export your csv file from your survey software used for processing (TBC for us) and then import a csv file into C3D.

Posted : January 30, 2023 10:25 am
 JPH
(@jph)
Member Member

I'm amazed that the Begin and End of lines/strings is an issue.  I'm still using the default +7, hardly ever use the end, though

Yeah, whenever I want to start a line, punching +7 is such a hassle....

Posted : January 30, 2023 10:53 am

(@dleidigh)
Member Member

Having just gone through the process of moving to the Leica process from a Carlson to Civil3D process, I can say that it does take a little time to set up the linework and coding properly in Leica Captivate and Infinity.  Our previous export method was an ASCII with code, linework and description which was then imported into C3D using a survey linework and coding template.

Moving to Leica, we really just created a codelist set with the layers which were imported from our CAD template into Infinity.  Exported the code template from Infinity and imported into Captivate on the CS20.  From there, you turn on the coding tab and away you go.  *I'd suggest setting some hot buttons for line codes like 3point curve and best fit curves.

As far as exporting data to Civil 3D, we found using the downloadable style sheet "XML to Civil 3D" to be the best option.  It exports the points, linework, shot data, coordinate system, etc. and it's easily uploadable into the survey database in civil 3D.  You can decide what is appended to the point descriptions, such as attributes or annotations.  The stylesheet can be found on the Leica website in the downloads section. 

*Sidenote: wish I knew a little more about .xsl coding because I'd love to be able to change a few things about the stylesheet.

Posted : February 17, 2023 7:44 am
(@hristo)
Member Member
Topic starter

@dleidigh 

Looked all over Leica My world downloads, did not find downloadable style sheet, I did find the add one export import xml file and installed it, but I m in a look for xml style sheet file.

Anybody care to share 

Posted : February 21, 2023 1:13 pm
Rover83
(@rover83)
Member Member

@dleidigh

*Sidenote: wish I knew a little more about .xsl coding because I'd love to be able to change a few things about the stylesheet.

It's not too difficult if you're willing to put in some time with web-based tutorials and references. There are some XSL-specific editing GUIs, but I have found Notepad++ to be more than enough for me.

XSL is not a procedural language, so it takes a bit of getting used to. Forget about modifying variables on the fly or calling functions - it took me a while to wrap my head around how it works.

O'Reilly's book is a good reference. There are a handful of online resources, and of course stackexchange has a tone of already-answered questions.

If you have the time and enjoy the challenge, I think it's worthwhile. I've created several stylesheets that save ten minutes here, half an hour there, sometimes more, every time they are used. Doesn't seem like much, but adds up over time, especially with lots of user implementing it on a daily basis.

Posted : February 21, 2023 1:44 pm

(@johnson5144)
Member Member

@hristo, when in myWorld go into the Controller>CS20 (for example) and then click on Software. In the "Release No." dropdown select "All". The Leica Captivate Stylesheets zip file will then be visible.

Posted : February 22, 2023 11:47 am
John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
Member Member

Wow!, they really buried them.  They used to be right there up front.

Posted : February 24, 2023 6:37 am