Carlson RW5 - How to change distance offset in editor

14 Posts
6 Users
7 Likes
Sam Izdat
(@samizdat)
Member Member
Topic starter

Is there a way to fix a horizontal distance offset in Carlson using the .rw5 file?

Posted : March 16, 2022 10:55 am
Sam Izdat
(@samizdat)
Member Member
Topic starter

I tried removing the notes, but it doesn't change the distance.

Posted : March 16, 2022 10:56 am
JPH
 JPH
(@jph)
Member Member

I posted this before.  Removing, "distance offset" fixes it for me in Carlson.  So it won't reapply the offset

Posted : March 16, 2022 10:59 am

Get the 2023 SurveyorConnect Wall Calendar

Sam Izdat
(@samizdat)
Member Member
Topic starter

@jph And how do you remove it. I tried deleting the row with the offset note but it didn't change anything.

Posted : March 16, 2022 12:17 pm
JPH
 JPH
(@jph)
Member Member

I usually open the rw5 in wordpad or notepad, and do a search/replace for "distance offset".  Then save/close and open in the Carlson editor.

I assume that you're talking about how Carlson is doubling the distance offset.  This method works for me

Posted : March 16, 2022 12:22 pm
Rover83, Rover83 and Rover83 reacted
ArabicaBoy
(@arabicaboy)
Member Member

@jph @samizdat, if you are used to edit with the amazing NotepadPlusPlus as I am, try to use this style sheet. It's just an quick draft, but it renders some syntax highlighting for RW5 files.

Posted : October 6, 2022 2:11 am
toeknee reacted

Peter Lothian
(@peter-lothian)
Member Member

I found with "Offset Left" and "Offset Right" records that Carlson is actually reading the note, and applying the offset to the raw measurement. When the crew got some offsets backwards from what they should have been, changing Left to Right and vice versa fixed it in processing the .rw5. Editing the angle in the SS record had no effect.

If this is your issue, maybe try adding a negative sign to the HD note record for the positives, and vice versa?

Posted : October 6, 2022 12:46 pm
JPH
 JPH
(@jph)
Member Member

@peter-lothian 

For me it occurs with older DC's using Survey Pro, for distance offset only.  Left/right offsets come in fine. 

The distance offset is applied double.  If I delete the line that says, "distance offset", all is right with the world

Posted : October 6, 2022 12:51 pm
Peter Lothian
(@peter-lothian)
Member Member

Posted by: @jph

@peter-lothian 

For me it occurs with older DC's using Survey Pro, for distance offset only.  Left/right offsets come in fine. 

The distance offset is applied double.  If I delete the line that says, "distance offset", all is right with the world

As my college housemate, an entomology major, would say, "now's that's an interesting bug."

Posted : October 6, 2022 1:04 pm

Jaccen
(@jaccen)
Member Member

Side note--Starnet (as of v10) does *NOT* read the GPS offsets correctly.  When using vectors, it will produce coordinates at the first shot.  They have been made aware of this, but I am unsure if it was fixed in v11.

Posted : October 24, 2022 6:23 pm
Jaccen
(@jaccen)
Member Member

Posted by: @arabicaboy

@jph @samizdat, if you are used to edit with the amazing NotepadPlusPlus as I am, try to use this style sheet. It's just an quick draft, but it renders some syntax highlighting for RW5 files.

Would you be able to walk me through how this is installed?  Presume I'm a simpleton--I won't be offended 🙂

Posted : October 24, 2022 6:27 pm
toeknee
(@toeknee)
Member Member

@jaccen 

Check out the npp manual page on UDLs and scroll down to the “Import a UDL” section. 

https://npp-user-manual.org/docs/user-defined-language-system/

Posted : October 27, 2022 2:21 am
Jaccen reacted

ArabicaBoy
(@arabicaboy)
Member Member

Thanks you @toeknee  to answer @jaccen.

As I was unable to rememeber, I verify by myself:

In Notepad++, Menu Languages > Define Your Language… will bring up a dialog box (which can be docked as a pane in the Notepad++ Window, or can be a floating dialog box).

The main pulldowns and buttons are available, whichever configuration tab is active:
  (...)
  Import… will import a UDL XML file into your current instance
-> import the Carlson_RW5.udl.xml file

This post was modified 1 month ago by ArabicaBoy

Posted : October 27, 2022 3:10 am
Jaccen reacted
Jaccen
(@jaccen)
Member Member

Just got around to installing this.  It's simple and slick--I like it.  Thanks to toeknee and ArabicBoy.

Posted : November 16, 2022 5:46 pm
ArabicaBoy reacted