Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Hatch spacing issue with description keys

Tyler Brown
(@tyler-brown)
10+ posts Member

We use description keys for automatically labeling trees in our drawings scaled to their correct diameter. 

The tree block that is associated with the description key is a circle with an ANSI31 hatch, spacing set at 0.304 on a 1 foot circle. 

I would like to find a way to keep the hatch spacing fixed at 0.304 even when the circle is scaling to match the diameter of the tree. Currently, it is scaling the hatch with the diameter and it makes the hatch on smaller trees too dense and on larger trees too sparse. 

Is there a work around for this or are there any better methods? Thanks

Topic starter Posted : April 4, 2022 2:58 pm
WA-ID Surveyor
(@wa-id-surveyor)
500+ posts Member

A simpler method would be to use a tree symbol without hatching.  That's what we use.   We try to limit hatching as it has caused issues over the years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2022 3:26 pm
Tyler Brown
(@tyler-brown)
10+ posts Member

@wa-id-surveyor That's a good idea. I'll keep that in mind if there are no other workarounds. I'm hoping to find a way to match our companies styles to our workflow but changing the style would certainly be the easier option.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 4, 2022 4:02 pm

Richard Germiller
(@richard-germiller)
500+ posts Member

Is the hatch in the block set to "annotative" thinking that could be the issue, depending on the software that you are using.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2022 6:59 am
RobertUSA
(@robertusa)
200+ posts Member

I'm assuming this is in Civil3D since it wasn't mentioned.  I have trees scale proportionally to each other, but they do not get shown actual diameter because the actual tree takes up more space than its diameter.  For trees smaller than 12 inches, I have that code not scale and come in at 0.1 plotted size.  This is unless you are putting in a number which is the approximate canopy diameter for scaling. My suggestion is to keep it simple and avoid hatching.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 10, 2022 7:11 pm
Share: