Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Looking for maps and/or use of Public lidar data

Andy J
Topic starter
(@andy-j)
1,000+ posts

I've been looking for a map themed birthday gift for a friend that loves Matheisson State Park in Lasalle County Illinois.   I downloaded the 7.5 Quad but was thinking of something a little neater. 

I also see Illinois has LIDAR data tiles avaliable, but I have no clue how to process  point cloud data.    

Does anyone have a link to Illinois aerial images?  either current or historic?  

Thanks for any help.

Andy  

7 Replies
mattsib79
(@mattsib79)
200+ posts

You can use Global Mapper to import the LIDAR image. If you send me a link to the LIDAR image I can do it for you and then generate contours for you. 

1 Reply
Andy J
(@andy-j)

1,000+ posts

@mattsib79 

that would be fantastic.   here is the link to the data, it's Lasalle County.    

Illinois Height Modernization (ILHMP): LiDAR Data | clearinghouse.isgs.illinois.edu

here is the area around the park that I'd be looking for... roughly.     thanks! and let me know if I can do anything to help.  Andy 

IL La Salle 307966 1966 24000 geo

MDavis
(@mdavis)
10+ posts

The Illinois geospatial data clearinghouse has 30s-40s aerials, then jumps to 2000's. It has lidar data too. 

John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
1,000+ posts

Civil 3D will create surfaces for LiDAR.  It can import GeoTiFFs, DEMs and LAS files.  Just be careful, the resulting surface for a quad is big.

2 Replies
mattsib79
(@mattsib79)

200+ posts

@john-putnam 

The nice thing about global mapper is you can export a grid of nodes of just the area you want. Then create your surface in Civil 3D of just the small area and not the whole quad. 

John Putnam
(@john-putnam)

1,000+ posts

@mattsib79 

I do that with QGIS.  I'll have to check out Global Mapper.

4site
(@tbale)
FNG

Were you able to find a process that worked for you?   If not, I might be able to help.

Share: