Clear all

Trimble GeoXH

12 Posts
5 Users
3 Likes
(@agengineering)
Regular Member Member
Topic starter

Hello, new to the forum, hopefully this is the correct section.  I have a Trimble GeoXH 2008 that I have never used.  I would like to use it to collect locations of maple trees on my property to plan maple sap line layout but I do not have Pathfinder or other Trimble software.  I know I can download data with just Pathfinder Viewer but cannot export/use the point data. I do have AutoCAD Civil3D and Map3D.

Is there anyway to get the point info off this thing so I can use it?

Thanks.

Posted : February 3, 2023 6:04 am
(@olemanriver)
Member Member

I have not messed with these in many many years. So I might be wrong. There is a utility free Trimble data transfer utility or something like that or use to be.  That might help you get the data out For some reason I remember only lat long ellipsoid heights being exported. If thats the case you could take that information and get it into a excel csv or txt file.  Go to ngs website and use the tools to get northing easting elevation based on nad83 geoid 18. Should be good enough for what you want.  Then import that with whatever description into civil3d. I am not a civil 3d expert so it might bring the lat long directly in. If you tell me what extensions it will export from the controller itself i can see what else i might be able to figure out.  I hope this helps.  It has been so long ago I even dealt with that stuff. What software is on the geo. Is it Trimble or esri as they both were used a lot. Also depending on where you are located a local dealer sales guy or support guy for a good lunch or dinner might get you covered as well.   Good luck with the maples. I love that stuff but it gives me spreading out issues around the belly lol. 

Posted : February 4, 2023 9:08 am
(@agengineering)
Regular Member Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply.  I am still trying to figure out how to connect it and export.  There is a Trimble utility in Civil3D that I will play around with as well.

Posted : February 6, 2023 7:42 am

Carlson BRx7 GNSS Receiver

(@olemanriver)
Member Member

@agengineering what operating system is on the geo. If windows mobile you might need active sync

Posted : February 6, 2023 9:07 am
Jitterboogie reacted
(@agengineering)
Regular Member Member
Topic starter

Windows Mobile 6 Classic.  My PC is on Windows 11 and does not have Bluetooth, but I have charger/base connected via USB.

Posted : February 6, 2023 9:12 am
(@olemanriver)
Member Member

@agengineering i think maybe someone here will have to help with windows 11 and if active sync will be needed with windows mobile 6. I think i had left the private sector side about the time windows mobile 6 got going. I remember version 5. Now getting activesync to connect on the newer windows office side might be a little tricky. But I think you will have to get that before any other communications can be done. I wish i were more help.  I went to work for the government then started a farm and now also doing surveying again now. So a gap in technology has happened and i am playing catch up. 😂.

Posted : February 6, 2023 12:54 pm

Rover83
(@rover83)
Member Member

If it's running TerraSync, which IIRC was the most common software, you can use the Write Data to Shape function to export out a shapefile directly from the unit.

The only thing you may have to do (going off of old memory here) is create a PRJ file that matches whatever coordinate system you were running inside TerraSync.

At that point you can then run MAPIMPORT in Civil 3D to bring the shapefile into CAD.

Posted : February 6, 2023 2:08 pm
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
Supporter Supporter

you can also use arcpad if that's still available anywhere on the web you can find it does similar to Terra sync

but then again I haven't used the geoxt xh or just geo whatever and so long I don't even know if they work any longer except as a door stop.

I'll poke around my ancient history stuff and if I can find some software I'll IM you and see if it will help

Posted : February 6, 2023 3:59 pm
Rover83 reacted
GISJoel
(@gisjoel)
Member Member

Insert a SD card under base cap.  Assuming you have Terrasync do as above suggested write data to shapefile on card.  Assign shape a GCS WGS84 prj.  This is fast but your using autonomous solutions, muse well use a Garmin   You have to pp to reap 30cm or so

youll want to PP either available in PFO or positions and get CaD, ascii out.  PFO will install on win11 and you’ll get the data transfer utility.  You won’t be able to install WMDC so install USB switcher app.  I’m me with a better switcher install doc than Trimble.  

Posted : February 8, 2023 10:13 am

(@agengineering)
Regular Member Member
Topic starter

Thank you all for the great info.  I do not have Pathfinder office unfortunately.  I was told that I can get realtime corrections if I log into the NYSNet Spatial Reference Network (CORS / Real Time Network)?

https://cors.dot.ny.gov/SBC/Account/Index?returnUrl=%2FSBC

Posted : February 8, 2023 11:05 am
GISJoel
(@gisjoel)
Member Member

Re-reading your original post, the operative word - mapping trees, you'll have to post process this data using either Pathfinder Office or Trimble Positions (must have arcmap).   Satellite based subscription services, like Trimble RTX or a local NTRIP station will require internet thru the Geo, and your too late  - this device can only go up to LTE 3G, which is deprecated (at least up here in AK).    Don't get me wrong, that device was one of the best ever made by Trimble, just compare heavy canopy estimates from the USFS GPS accuracy site.   I've used those for years, but you'll need to Post process correct any data.  Simply exporting a shapefile, possible with TerraSync, will only get you autonomous position.  your better off with a Garmin.  Assuming you have Terrasync on that device (don't go any lower that 5.4) to reap the bug fixes and at least PFO 5.4, ideally 5.85.

Good luck.

Posted : March 5, 2023 2:52 pm
Jitterboogie reacted
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
Supporter Supporter

@gisjoel 

he could connect wifi to a newer 4g or 5G phone or hotspot.

but jeesh

lots of heavy lifting for old gear is a diminishing returns kind of prospect.

unless you just have time to burn.

still need to dig around, tomorrow likely.

Posted : March 5, 2023 3:14 pm