Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Who uses VPN's and if you do any recommendations are appreciated.

Page 1 / 2

FL/GA
Supporter
Topic starter
(@flga-2-2)
5,000+ posts

Going to renew my virus protection subscription with Malwarebytes and now see they offer a reasonable priced VPN. Any of y'all use one and are they worth it for basically web browsing?

TIA 😎 

9 Replies
Chris Bouffard
(@chris-bouffard)
200+ posts

I sue Norton's for antivirus and it's already built in to my annual subscription price.  If you are running newer MS OS systems, I believe that it's built into the OS as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

John Hamilton
(@john-hamilton)
1,000+ posts

I use NORD VPN when out of the office on public/hotel wifi. I also use it when out of the country (I was out half of the month of August) to make it appear that I am still in the US because a lot of apps for streaming will not work if they think you are not in the US. I even have a sling box in my house so that I can watch shows off of my antenna when out, and it restricted me if I didn't connect to the VPN server in the US first, same with FIOS, if I appear to be in the US I can watch anything recorded on my DVR and some live shows as well. 

I recently bought a VPN router to use so that I can connect from my laptop on the road directly in to my office network and appear to be in the office, but I have not yet tried to set that up...that would eliminate the connection to the VPN server, which of course slows down the connection. I have 1 GB at the office, so it should not be an issue having to go in and then back out. 

John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
1,000+ posts

I have a VPN set up on my network firewall that allows me to tap the network when out of the office.  I think those services provided by Norton and the likes are merely a way to spoof how you are connected to the internet.  The main reason being security.  I'm not sure I would like these third parties handling access to my network, if they even do, but the security aspect interreges me as I sit in a hotel typing this.  My big question is on through put.  I know that accessing my server through the VPN is slow.  How do the third party system effect network speeds.

Jonathan50
(@jonathan50)
50+ posts

I use Opera browser with built-in VPN but it's kind of slow for some sites. Why do you need VPN anyway?

I find that the built-in Windows Security Defender is good for virus protection. I have not had any virus problems since using Windows 10.

Page 1 / 2
Share: