Drunken surveyors and Montana

Page 2 / 2
BStrand
(@bstrand)
1,000+ posts Member

@frozennorth

Guess I had bad info.

Or it was slope distances. 😏

Still a ridiculous statement by the author, imo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 21, 2021 1:08 pm
Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)
1,000+ posts Member
Posted by: @paden-cash

Surveying after a round of imbiberance is difficult even by today's standards.  I have worked with surveyors that were inebriated.  It's not easy and can test your nerves.

Paden, that has been the cause of some conflict between Georgia and Tennessee for years.  The surveyor assigned to establish the Northwest corner of Georgia, on the south line with Tennessee, was reportedly inebriated when he set the corner.  It was about a mile south of where it was supposed to be.  Going strictly by the Latitude a portion of the Tennessee River would be in Georgia.  I DO NOT believe that the corner, which has been there for 200 years, should be in question even though some of our politicians believe it should.

Andy

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 21, 2021 1:38 pm
RADAR and paden cash liked
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts Member

@andy-bruner The U.S. Supreme Court state boundary cases I have reviewed highly favor the accepted and acquiesced physically established boundary, despite errors and ancient bad procedures. I think that’s why Georgia politicians occasionally bring it up but Georgia AGs never push it (they know the chances of winning are between slim and none). Meanwhile Tennessee just ignores Georgia.

There were three California-Nevada boundaries, California and Nevada conferred, agreed on which one to use then California sued Nevada to bring it into the Supreme Court which ruled the agreement is correct.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 22, 2021 9:31 am

Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts Member

There were 3 or 4 Iowa-Missouri boundaries considered, and the US Supreme Court went with the oldest one (Sullivan Line of 1816) It is interesting because you can see it curve, the effect of changing magnetic declination which was not updated on the compass as the survey moved east.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 22, 2021 11:38 am
Norm Miller
(@norm)
500+ posts Member

@bill93 

THE HONEY WAR

Ye freemen of the happy land,

Which flows with milk and honey,

Arise! To arms! Your ponies mount! 

Regard not blood or money.

Old Governor Lucas, tiger-like,

Is prowling ’round our borders,

But Governor Boggs is wide awake —

Just listen to his orders.

Three bee-trees stand about the line

Between our State and Lucas,

Be ready all these trees to fall,

And bring things to a focus.

We’ll show old Lucas how to brag,

And seize our precious honey!

He also claims, I understand,

Of us three bits in money.

Now, if the Governors want to fight,

Just let them meet in person.

And when noble Boggs old Lucas flogs,

’Twill teach the scamp a lesson.

Then let the victor cut the trees,

And have three-bits in money,

And wear a crown from town to town,

Anointed with pure honey

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 22, 2021 3:00 pm
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts Member

@bill93 the Supreme Court said the Sullivan line was the line used and respected by the us government in administering the territory and besides it looks like it split the baby.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 22, 2021 5:41 pm

Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts Member

I was particularly interested in the Ia-Mo line since I grew up a dozen miles from it. I once found a copy of the 1850's Supreme Court reporter original volume with that case at a book sale for $1. I later gave it to the county museum.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 22, 2021 7:37 pm
Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts Member

The Surveyors Historical Society publication Backsights fall edition just arrived, and has reprinted this  article about the Iowa Missouri boundary dispute.  It's a poor article that I'd seen somewhere before.  I thought it was on this forum but can't bring it up now.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/honey-war-missouri-iowa-border

The title blames sloppy surveying for the dispute, but sloppiness played no part.  The dispute was over which interpretation should be made of the wording that tried to define the boundary and thus which survey should control.  Sullivan was a bit sloppy in not updating his magnetic declination as he went east, but his survey created no ambiguity and served its purposes well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2021 7:06 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: