Clear all

HELP, Topcon Rod Level Bubble Screw type?

FNG Member

I am an intern and my boss gave me the rods for the weekend to level them. Now I got a screwdriver that fit perfectly and went to work leveling the rods however I must've been wrong about the screwdriver because I stripped the screws. In my defense I've never really done much with screws before and I thought it was all simple and unfortunately got too focused on my work and next thing I knew the screws were stripped. The rod is a 2m composite rod that has three positions you can lock it at and is from Topcon. The level has three top facing screws, they looked to be a hexagon in shape. Please help, I don't want to look like an idiot in front of my boss tomorrow.

Topic starter Posted : August 4, 2019 4:27 pm
10+ posts Member

Ok, first, it is a pluming device, not a "level". Second, you're screwed, sorry to say but the mount the bubble is in that attaches to the rod will need to be replaced. Good news is it is not expensive, not like the rods. When trueing up a rod make sure you've read a procedure on it, the only other trick is not to over tighten. Think snug. Sorry this may not be the news you were hoping for. I wish you the best of luck because I've been there for sure. 

Posted : August 4, 2019 4:52 pm
1,000+ posts Supporter


Taking an old one apart before adjusting it for the first time would be useful. 

Posted : August 5, 2019 8:20 am

5,000+ posts Member

Are the screw threads stripped (they turn but don't tighten), or is only the screw head damaged? If they have hexagonal sockets in the screw heads, then you want an Allen wrench, not a screwdriver.

If threads are damaged, then the screws and the bracket may need to be replaced.  If only the heads, someone may be able to get them out and replace them with matching screws from a hardware store.

Posted : August 5, 2019 9:33 am