Notifications
Clear all

How to Adjust a Side Shot

Page 2 / 2
Field Dog
(@field-dog)
500+ posts Member

@rover83 

That sounds freakin' outstanding! Unfortunately, we don't have StarNET. We use Carlson Survey inside AutoCAD Civil 3D and Topcon MAGNET Tools. I'm very fortunate to have been granted access to this software. Do any of those have the function that you describe? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 18, 2021 6:37 pm
JMH4825
(@jmh4825)
50+ posts Member
Posted by: @field-dog

We use Carlson Survey

I’m pretty sure Carlson survey comes with SurvNet.  

I normally take a GPS shot on new OP, double my angles to the new OP, or take another side (check) shot on a known point from the new setup.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2021 11:15 am
Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
5,000+ posts Member

@jmh4825 

Carlson Survey does include SURVNET, which is a fairly close facsimile to StarNet in a lot of ways. I'm not certain that it has the pre-analysis function that Rover83 described.

I've been a religious StarNet user for 25 years and I've only used the pre-analysis once. That was for a proposal on a monitoring job - where we wanted to prove to the architect what kind of effort his 0.01' specification was going to require to meet. We didn't get the job because somebody who didn't do the per-analysis underbid us and, I suppose, the client just accepted what they got from them.        

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2021 5:40 pm

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts Member
Posted by: @norman-oklahoma

We didn't get the job because somebody who didn't do the per-analysis underbid us and, I suppose, the client just accepted what they got from them.   

This has happened to me more times than I can remember.  Negligence and incompetence -- and sometimes fraud -- get rewarded more often than we'd like to think.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2021 6:25 pm
BushAxe liked
Murphy
(@murphy)
200+ posts Member

@norman-oklahoma 

I've had a similar scenario play out.  It's extremely frustrating to watch simple lies triumph over complicated truths.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2021 5:00 am
Rover83
(@rover83)
500+ posts Member

@murphy 

True, same thing has happened to us. But when we do snag the job, the preanalysis has saved our bacon. Many a client has tried to get out of paying for monitoring work, only for us to point to our accepted 10-20 page proposal explaining exactly what it would take in time and money to achieve desired results.

I guess I don't know how someone who knows nothing about monitoring methodology, error or precision is allowed to write RFPs or specifications for such things.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2021 6:19 am

JPH
 JPH
(@jph)
1,000+ posts Member

@norman-oklahoma 

Well, in fairness, I've had requests from architects, builders, and even engineers asking for that kind of precision on things that don't really require it, and they're not even sure what they're asking for when they do.  1/8"?  Really, is that what you really want?

I don't lie to them, tell them that they don't need it that tight to build their walkway or garage, and leave that out in my proposal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2021 6:19 am
Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
5,000+ posts Member

@jph 

There is a larger story built in within my brief encapsulation. It was in my first week of a new job. The survey manager was an absolutely cracker jack at small boundaries and plats but knew nothing of precision work or construction staking. The other PLS, who had been there longer than anyone, didn't want the job so he sabotaged the proposal.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2021 11:44 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: