Share:
Notifications
Clear all

I need some training

Page 1 / 2
jim.cox
(@jimcox)
1,000+ posts Supporter

Picked up a Trimble TSC5 controller to play with.

Looks like I'm going to need some training.

It is Android based and since I'm not a smart phone user, I had some issues making it work for me. No - not the Access software, but more the whole operation - in particular how to move files around and where they go to.

In fact it was so frustrating I gave up on it and went back to the trusty old TSC3.

I'm really productive with the TSC3, and the windows based TSC7 doesn't give me any problems in use (other than the weight and form factor that is)

Topic starter Posted : November 24, 2021 5:01 pm
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts Member

The Android file system is clunky at best.

You need a flash drive with USB-C or an adapter.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2021 5:56 pm
Brad Ott liked
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts Member

There were some getting used to things but it has good battery life. When I first had it the batteries died right away but I charged them up again and they’ve been good ever since. Lithium batteries can be unstable until a few charge cycles have passed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2021 5:58 pm

jim.cox
(@jimcox)
1,000+ posts Supporter

@dave-karoly 

I've been moving files between desktop and TSC3 by bluetooth. Slick and easy - just drag and drop - no need for cables or USB sticks

That works with the TSC7 too.

Couldn't make it work with the TSC5, and could not find an equivalent of 'file manager' or 'explorer' to see what was going on.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 24, 2021 5:59 pm
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts Member

@jimcox I’ve used Bluetooth to connect to receivers but not to transfer files. It’s in settings under connections I think.

for sure TSC3 was the pinnacle of Trimble controllers. The TSC5 is lighter but the android operating system is not that great, IMO.

TSC7 for me was way too large and it eats batteries.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2021 6:03 pm
jim.cox
(@jimcox)
1,000+ posts Supporter

@dave-karoly 

I could get the bluetooth to connect - but could not find a way to get the files across, or to even work out where they should go. I'm putting that down to my inexperience with Android

Quite agree about the TSC7 being clunky and having poor battery life. We have about an even number of them and TSC3. All our field crews, bar one, prefer the TSC3.

A TSC3 with an upgraded screen would be great, but in the mean time I'll stick with what makes me productive

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 24, 2021 6:44 pm

bobwesterman
(@bobwesterman)
100+ posts Member
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts Member

@jimcox the Android file system is antiquated and that’s being kind. Navigate to your file, long press on it to select, there’s a drop down in the upper right, choose copy to that takes you to a root directory, upper left drop down there’s a list of destinations, choose one then you can navigate. I don’t know how to make it show the other computer, though.

it can handle long file names but they don’t completely show, annoying, guessing half the time.

Windows Mobile was way better than this 10 years ago.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2021 7:06 pm
jim.cox
(@jimcox)
1,000+ posts Supporter

@bobwesterman 

Thanks Bob,

That looks like what I needed - shame it is not installed on the TSC5 by default

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 24, 2021 7:07 pm
Brad Ott liked

jim.cox
(@jimcox)
1,000+ posts Supporter
Posted by: @dave-karoly

Navigate to your file

How do you do that?

That was one of the bits I could not work out.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Android

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 24, 2021 7:09 pm
jim.cox
(@jimcox)
1,000+ posts Supporter

Right ho - I think we have "the" questions sorted...

On a windows desktop, how does one export to and explore the files on an Android device (==TSC5) when said device is connected to the host via bluetooth?

And at the other end...

What does that connection look like from the Android side - maybe from inside Trimble Access?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 24, 2021 8:04 pm
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts Member

@jimcox after you do the upper right drop down and “copy to” you select the upper left dropdown, scroll down, select TSC5 and it’ll show the folders. The Trimble folder structure is the same as the TSC3.

the video I posted was very helpful. I’ve  been copying to USB flash drive for a decade or so because that seems to the most trouble free way of doing it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 8:42 am

Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)
5,000+ posts Supporter

Probably not helpful here, sorry, so I will be brief.  I transfer files to/from my Windows Mobile device via email.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 8:44 am
Jaccen
(@jaccen)
200+ posts Member

The company gave me a OneDrive account with the Office 365 email address. I upload pictures, field data, etc. using my android cell. It's the easiest way to download Emlid RS2 RINEX data. If Trimble allows the app store, it may be worth getting a free account. Then you can sync your work station and the TSC5. Ie. no bluetooth needed, just internet access on both devices.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 12:31 pm
RobertUSA liked
jim.cox
(@jimcox)
1,000+ posts Supporter

@dave-karoly 

Thanks to your video I have found the 'files' app. That should be enough for what I need at the TSC5 end.

You're right, the UI is klunky - and seems to differ a little from what was in the video - Heaven forfend, but I definately prefer windows here.

Now to sort that bluetooth link...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 25, 2021 6:22 pm
Brad Ott liked

Page 1 / 2
Share: