Share:
Notifications
Clear all

New job will be fun

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Member

It's a jigsaw puzzle type of issue.  One of the prior owners was an attorney.  He at least had the common sense to have part of it surveyed in 1982.  This will primarily be a project tracking the title of multiple parcels that were assembled and then had a couple of pieces deeded away.  Several different issues.  Including who owns the ground on the opposite side of the US highway that may, in fact, be a portion of what they hold title to if one figures out all of the calls for rods, chains and which tiny stream is Suchandsuch Creek.

This is a case of the 96 year-old passing away and leaving the 73 year-old son the fun of following the parents' wishes in distributing quite a number of farms (including this one) between the four sons, counting him.  I have performed a survey for the youngest son, probably 10 years ago, when he was getting divorced from wife #?.  I was a classmate of the second youngest and was in high school with the third youngest.  The oldest (73) has two sons.  Both have worked with me, starting when they were high school.  One now is a city administrator and the other is a middle school mathematics teacher and track coach.  So, I know far too much about the family dynamics compared to the standard survey job.

The son who is to end up with this tract was a wild and crazy teenager who tried (and did) everything that teenagers should not do.  At about age 25 (as he puts it) the Lord came back into his life with a passion.  He became a minister, not a farmer, and has headed a church and its private school for nearly 40 years now in some of the roughest territory in the State of Oklahoma.  At our recent class reunion he was telling a couple of us about conducting the burial service for an older brother of one our classmates.  That had to be a tough job considering the deceased had been accused, but never convicted, of participating in the abduction and murder of two teenager girls a couple of decades earlier.  Those girls have never been found.

Topic starter Posted : July 21, 2021 5:59 pm
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Member

The attorney involved has already had a fight with the county GIS worker over this, so I won't get any help from that office.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2021 10:59 am
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
1,000+ posts Supporter

@holy-cow

my guess is the GIS person said something like "I can't give out legal advice..." And the attorney probably let them have it...

Just a hunch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2021 11:32 am
RADAR and Brad Ott liked

JerryS
(@jerrys)
500+ posts Member

There's no way you could ever sufficiently anticipate the wrinkles and side jaunts such a deal would involve.  Reminds me of a tract I worked on for the Surveyor who signed my paychecks before I was licensed.  The chain of title of the tract owned by the client we were working for had a hiatus in the deeds, but it could be traced beyond that with the information in the deed description.  The adjoiner who was trying to claim some of our client's land had an even more defective chain of title. The tract sort of bubbled up out of nowhere because it went back so far, and no further.  People in that area were bad about not recording deeds.  Could have something to do with the fact that the only thing the land in that area was good for was keeping there from being a big sinkhole or a lake in the area.

I spent more time in the courthouse looking for deeds that turned out to not be of record than I did going around the tract.  No way my boss could charge enough for that work.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2021 2:27 pm
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Member

@jerrys 

I may not measure anything.  It may be a case of finding the answers in the words of the various documents associated with the complete parcel involved and all adjoining tracts.  Going through the various tracts acquired by the DOT in 1959 or a bit earlier will help a great deal====I HOPE.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2021 6:44 pm
Chris Bouffard
(@chris-bouffard)
500+ posts Member

@holy-cow I don't know how the DOT plans are in your neck of the woods but the older DOT plans are pretty detailed when it comes to document takings and remainders.  I have often found them to be beneficial.  I have to say that I am not a fan of the newer plans though, they often have multiple baselines with few ties.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2021 11:25 am

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Member

@chris-bouffard 

Agreed.  The older style was much easier to follow.

The PITA that has come about here is that the Legislature kept taking money out of what is referred to as "The Bank of KDOT" to use for anything and everything else except DOT projects.  A recent governor did this so much that they went in search of any dollar they could find from any source they could find in order to have enough money to operate.  I used to make a less than 20 mile trip to their Area Office to look at the hanging files of highway and bridge plans plus scroll through microfilm copies of such plans back to about 1930.  Now, we have to make a "Mother, may I?" type request for an Open Records Access to the information we tell them we need via email submittal.  Typically, we will receive the plans and the takings data within a few days.  An invoice for their time will be received within a couple of weeks.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 23, 2021 11:49 am
flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)
1,000+ posts Supporter

Won myself a job today that should be fun (and continue to feed itself for a while), just by doing a few hours of research. 

guy emails, says his dad (an attorney) bought the property way back when, “can’t believe he’d buy a tract without road access…” turns out the neighbors to the south recently gated off where they’d previously allowed access to his 300+ acre otherwise landlocked tract.

anyways, chasing deeds back on all sides keep finding references to a public road in a different place. You can see it on street view, but it’s clear nobody’s used it in… a while. BUT there is complete acknowledgement and agreement not only to its existence, but its location AND its function as the access to this particular tract. means my new client will be able to command a significantly higher price from the single family developer to his west who’s been trying to lowball him on account of the whole landlocked issue.

kicker was finding this- the 100 year old quad map. irrefutably the road in question.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2021 5:58 pm
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
1,000+ posts Supporter

@holy-cow 

Shame on them.

Similar here in my county.

I figure if they make it harder to access things that used to be open to the public before, it's because they're hiding their own incompetent ways.

Road plans, survey docs, etc aren't confidential or need to be kept from public viewing except for the case of the above excoriating comment.

That sucks, screw them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2021 9:23 pm

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
1,000+ posts Supporter

@flyin-solo 

Nice work.

Would live to be afly on the wall when you unfurl a big ol oversized E onto their table to share.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2021 9:25 pm
NotSoMuch liked
Share: