Notifications
Clear all

"Oh, I had no idea it would cost that much"

Page 3 / 4
Jon Payne
(@jon-payne)
500+ posts Member
Posted by: @dougie

Realtors assume no liability; when asked about anything they give you some vague response and tell you to hire an expert.

I have known a couple of instances where realtors have been in some hot water with potential lawsuits because they messed up something either in the paperwork that is "all" they do or in showing the property and saying something they shouldn't have.

They actually do have liability which is probably why they refer people to an expert.  I wouldn't want my realtor telling me that a foundation is solid, a property line is here, or those trails in the joists are not something to be concerned about.

Just like I wouldn't want a surveyor telling me how much value would be added to my property by buying a half acre off my neighbor (a question I recently had).

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 12:13 pm
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Member

Most of the general public have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE as to what all needs to happen to sell their property.  Unless the buyer is handing over cash, it normally is a bunch of red tape of which they know nothing.

Today I sent an email to a new client pointing out that the seller's driveway does not enter a city street.  It enters property owned by a neighbor, then travels over 100 feet to the street.  The seller is not landlocked technically because the far back side of the property is along a city street and he could construct a drive to come and go in that direction.  But, the client intends to buy everything behind the house, thus, eliminating that possibility.  I asked if the seller has a written document proving his ability to drive over the neighbor's property to get to a city street.  BTW, the neighbor is a shyster who only focuses on what will make him money.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 12:16 pm
Jon Payne liked
Jon Payne
(@jon-payne)
500+ posts Member

Sometimes the preconception comes from what they paid the last time they had a survey done (40 or 50 years ago).

Sometimes it comes from the rates they paid in a different state when they had a survey done (as can be seen on this board daily, the review fees involved in some states are higher than the entire survey in other areas).

Sometimes it comes from having paid for a "survey" in the past that was actually just a drive by mortgage inspection (where those occur) and not knowing the difference.

Or, it may be they have gotten a "survey" in the past that was just someone pulling a copy of the recorded subdivision plat (or even just the tax map) and including it in their paperwork. Again - and not knowing the difference.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 12:20 pm

Rover83
(@rover83)
1,000+ posts Member
Posted by: @jon-payne

I have known a couple of instances where realtors have been in some hot water with potential lawsuits because they messed up something either in the paperwork that is "all" they do or in showing the property and saying something they shouldn't have.

Not disclosing certain things can be a big deal.

There are a few neighborhoods on Whidbey Island, WA that are right off the runway where the local NAS fighter jets do touch-and-go exercises, and there have been a few lawsuits against realtor brokerages that did not disclose that sort of thing. If I remember correctly the realtors were purposely bringing prospective buyers at days/times the jets weren't running.

We recently moved to Tacoma, and we are underneath (although a ways out from) the flight path of the C17s going in and out of JBLM. This wasn't disclosed to us, but we were well aware of it and don't really mind too much. A Globemaster at one or two thousand feet up a couple times a week isn't quite the same thing as an F18 at two hundred for hours on end multiple days per week.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 12:57 pm
RADAR
(@dougie)
5,000+ posts Member

I wouldn't want a surveyor telling me how much value would be added to my property by buying a half acre off my neighbor

The vague answer I would give: Well, you'll have to put a pencil to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 1:41 pm
Jon Payne liked
FL/GA
(@flga-2-2)
5,000+ posts Supporter
Posted by: @bill93

Most real estate agents are members of the price-fixing cartel that they somehow get away with.

I believe the real estate conglamorate has several lobbyist's working for them, which we do not. 🤔 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 2:13 pm
Jon Payne and RADAR liked

aliquot
(@aliquot)
1,000+ posts Member

@holy-cow "..with no explanation as to how the locations of the set monuments were determined."

Unbelievably surveyors are still putting out this crap.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 6:13 pm
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Member

@aliquot 

The only things shown for monuments were the four set bars.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 6:30 pm
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
1,000+ posts Supporter

@rover83 

Free Airshows!

Huge upsell!!!!

😎

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 7:54 pm
JPH liked

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
1,000+ posts Supporter
Posted by: @aliquot

@holy-cow "..with no explanation as to how the locations of the set monuments were determined."

Unbelievably surveyors are still putting out this crap.  

Yep.

Boards need to squash it too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 7:54 pm
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Member

One must understand the difference between today's practices and those in prior decades.  I'm not saying the cartoonist did not do a proper survey.  I am saying he did not present his work well for permanent inspection.

Just for fun.  Take a day and attempt to turn out a quality HAND-DRAWN SURVEY PLAT.  Try it.  Seriously.  That was the norm when I started.  Gave up on that about 1990, so 32 years ago.  It cost me a lot to make the change.  Much more than today.

Try it on any project of your choosing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 8:41 pm
jim.cox
(@jimcox)
1,000+ posts Supporter
Posted by: @holy-cow

Just for fun.  Take a day and attempt to turn out a quality HAND-DRAWN SURVEY PLAT.  Try it.  Seriously.  That was the norm when I started.  Gave up on that about 1990, so 32 years ago.  It cost me a lot to make the change.  Much more than today.

Try it on any project of your choosing.

And for more fun, try calculating it with 8 figure log tables...

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 8:47 pm
RADAR and half bubble liked

not my real name
(@not-my-real-name)
500+ posts Member

It should only take a couple of hours. I don't need it to be certified. Just find my pin.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2022 2:51 am
FL/GA
(@flga-2-2)
5,000+ posts Supporter

In Florida the Realtors have the Florida Real Estate Recovery Fund which is basically liability insurance for the Realtors that do screw up. I believe the max recovery amount is $150K. Rarely does a Realtor have to pay anything out of their own pocket, IF caught. 😎 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2022 6:15 am
Richard Germiller
(@richard-germiller)
500+ posts Member

@rover83 

We were told at the outset that the entire Sun City area is on the flight path to Luke Airbase - F-22's and F-35's(?) all the time. We just say "It's the sound of Freedom", we can even get license plates that say it across the top with an F-22 on them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2022 6:57 am

Page 3 / 4
Share: