Clear all

Roundabout

Page 4 / 4
dmyhill
(@dmyhill)
1,000+ posts Supporter

@lukenz

Posted by: @lukenz

Never seen a four way stop sign intersection. Either roundabouts or traffic lights in NZ for the main. Often a through road with a road that crosses it will end up with two staggered t intersections so you can blow through even if you wanted.

Do you not have rural roads that start with little traffic and no signage at all, then someone gets hurt (or someone thinks someone will), and they put a stop sign in? Or in NZ do they at that point simply put in a roundabout? The staggered T makes sense from a traffic control sense, but how in the surveying did that happen? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 6:33 pm
lukenz
(@lukenz)
200+ posts Member

@dmyhill 

Your right will be the odd four way rural one on low volume roads but nearly always one road is dominant and the other one gets two give way signs(similar to a yield one I'm guessing) splitting it up. Also not a huge number of plains in NZ which also naturally prevents the four way problem as roads follow ridges and valleys.

Roads ownership a bit different in NZ, all standard roads were laid out 1 chain wide (20.12m) and the land is all crown land (rights of way here are just for shared private driveways and the odd private road). With publicly maintained road the land is owned by crown (state). If traffic volumes warrant an offset intersection the local council or government takes the land under public works legislation.

All radical title to land in NZ is held by the crown, except for some very small amounts of indigenous land. Private owners have an estate in fee simple but not radical title to land.

Roundabouts are mostly for urban intersections (50km/h speed limit) but we do have large radius ones on our State Highway Network in 100km/h rural areas. So sign, offset intersection, roundabouts and then traffic light the hierarchy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 10:48 pm
FrankG
(@frankg)
10+ posts Member

USA decided to take on Europe’s design on intersection.  Some how we are behind on n traffic safety.  Txdot has taken on doing more Roundabouts since it safer then other intersection types.  Truck apron is a name for the area at the rolled curb. When I did my first roundabout, I kept wonder why that section was as thick as the travel lane.  It is for tractor trailer to have room to go around.  Which should have them reroute to another straighter street.  We are seeing more of these on city street here in Dallas.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2021 4:49 am

Jim in AZ
(@jim-in-az)
1,000+ posts Member
Posted by: @holy-cow

@john-putnam 

Driver's education is offered through most high schools and is a big money maker for private firms.

They sure are doing a crappy job...

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2021 6:09 am
RobertUSA
(@robertusa)
100+ posts Member
Posted by: @jph

That one isn't bad.  But you should see the one's they've built in NH.  Very tight circles, pretty much every tractor trailer has to ride up into the center, which might be the reason why it's sloped granite curb and concrete in the middle.  Still not right, in my opinion

That is the design of roundabouts, for trucks to drive over the mountable curb.  That isn't a pedestrian sidewalk in the middle!  Roundabouts are far better than 4 way intersections, because they eliminate higher speed collisions. You'll at most get a side glance impact at 20 MPH instead of T-bone at 50 MPH.  Plus they keep traffic moving when there is little traffic, like at night.  No need to wait 2 minutes for a traffic signal to turn green for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2021 9:48 am
dmyhill liked
ACD Surveyor
(@acd-surveyor)
100+ posts Member

@dave-karoly Yes, my sister lives off Simpson Lane, so I know that one well.  I saw another round-about I think was off Hwy 20 that had separate merge lanes for right turn traffic. That design created a lot less traffic conflicts within the circle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2021 4:02 pm

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts Member
Posted by: @acd-surveyor

@dave-karoly Yes, my sister lives off Simpson Lane, so I know that one well.  I saw another round-about I think was off Hwy 20 that had separate merge lanes for right turn traffic. That design created a lot less traffic conflicts within the circle.

That one is at Route 53 which runs south to the east side of Clear Lake.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2021 5:01 pm
ACD Surveyor
(@acd-surveyor)
100+ posts Member

@dave-karoly Yep, I think that was the one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2021 10:49 pm
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts Member

@acd-surveyor I’ve driven 20 from Williams to 101 so many times I think I can do it blindfolded.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2021 6:27 am

Page 4 / 4
Share: