Clear all

Setting up a drawing in Civil 3D for Land Surveying

42 Posts
12 Users
33 Likes
(@wa-id-surveyor)
Member Member

Posted by: @bstrand

Apparently there is a way to display all of your databases in prospector and you can just open any them for editing right there.  I don't know if this sorcery has been around for a long time or what but it's one thing at least a few companies in this area should get on.

Good point BStrand. I have also seen that when watching webinars and reading forums and I always wondered why companies had that setup. 

We set our database up from the very beginning to list all our projects (by job number) in our survey database.  You never have to change the working folder, ever.  The way to do this is to name the survey database with the exact same name as your Civil3d Project directory.  Ours are all numbered so it's a simple setup.

Posted : January 25, 2023 2:42 pm
Jitterboogie reacted
Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
Member Member

I ... don't see the difference between 3D polylines and survey figures

3d polylines do not support curves. 2d polylines do, but don't support changes in elevation. Survey Figures do both. FEATURE LINES have much of the same functionality as SURVEY FIGURES without the SD baggage.  But they are not created by the F2f functions. 

Posted : January 25, 2023 3:21 pm
Rover83 and Jitterboogie reacted
(@olemanriver)
Member Member

@bstrand I am no civil3d users just dipping my toe in. It’s driving me nuts. I am sure i will get it but I have not found one simple thing in civil3d that i can’t do in tbc from a daily qa/qc auto linework computations surfaces and now even labeling.  It takes me less time honestly to do everything in tbc than i can in civil3d. I am sure it will change some as i get use to all the extra commands in civil3d. I can do deeds way faster in tbc. If i use the same exact data to make a surface from a topo and contour it in TBC then use same points and such to do it in civil3d they all look similar so same underlying computation but TBC always has less jogs and much smoother and readable to me. Even my boss who is stamping things sais now forget doing the surface in civil3d just do it in tbc and export the landxml and import to final drawing in civil3d. He has tried to beat my time doing comps along lines in civil3d for points. Tbc does this way easier. I do have to figure out the best work flow to get my automated linework to come into civil3d better. I have been burning the midnight oil on my own trying and experimenting with this. We have a fxl for all our codes for Trimble access but the line types symbols and layers are not what they have in civil3d so i am slowly updating that. I am sure there is some way to do it quicker but i have not had the time to try it yet. I have had no issues exporting a cad 2018 version from tbc and getting it into civil3d. Only the issue was he had not used the company template so it civil3d had defaulted to internal feet instead of usft. Which my linework was in. I have exported a couple surfaces but i need to experiment with the other options as civil3d seems to add a new point to it where triangles connect. It’s probably a setting on my side in tbc. I am trying to now get all my labels and layers and symbols blocks all to flow from access to tbc to civil3d seamlessly so at every step we all see tge same exact thing. From field to finish. I have a site that is always changing so the surfaces always change because they go back and change it in spots. This is why i am more focused on tbc than civil3d at the moment. I can easily remove the old points and keep things flowing. And in a click of the mouse i can instantly disable the old point and know exactly what jxl file and what date it was done so i can add a label for client stating this has been updated.

Posted : January 25, 2023 3:30 pm

Get the 2023 SurveyorConnect Wall Calendar

jim.cox
(@jimcox)
Member Supporter

Posted by: @olemanriver

We have a fxl for all our codes for Trimble access but the line types symbols and layers are not what they have in civil3d so i am slowly updating that. 

@OleManRiver

You can set your fxl to use block symbols

Import them from a Civil3D dwg or dxf and they will be the same all the way through Access-TBC-Civil3D

Layers can also be controlled in the fxl

Linetypes are a little more difficult - if you keep the naming consistent right through you should be able to get what you need.

Posted : January 25, 2023 5:26 pm
(@olemanriver)
Member Member

@jimcox gotcha. Yeah i have figured out how to import the linetype from a cad drawing but its one at a time also same with a symbol and or the blocks. Its all time consuming doing it one at a time. Seems like there should be a way to export from one or the other in a standard format and make it all work.  If i can do one at a time i bet someone has figured a way how to do it all at once. I saw some portion of a video where they had exported the description key set from cad and imported it to fxl. But I don’t know enough yet about what the description keys actually do.  One of my biggest issues is i don’t do well as a button pusher and even when i ask simple questions like what fonts we use for different things i am just told to use the standard template don’t worry about why or how they are chosen. The way my mind works it tells me the blind is leading the blind. I want to know how to do something set it up etc so I understand. I will get there i been downloading recommended basic videos on various civil3d topics so i can see how and where everything is. In tbc i can understand because i have to manually go find everything i want and have no office standard template yet. I will for production for sure but for learning i had to figure it all out.  With civil3d it’s all set up and i am to just use it. Its like I will not train a crew chief to just push a button. I explain the math or process to him or her. The boss is like just set it up one way so he follows the same process every time. I say I will teach him to fish instead of given him fish sticks nuked in microwave. Especially with rtk and gps you have to think or your just pushing a button.  Thanks for the info. I will play around with my testing copy on this blocks thing. I have a access emulator as well i do a little testing in and bring in to tbc then test in civil3d.

Posted : January 25, 2023 5:55 pm
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
Supporter Supporter

@olemanriver 

that package is matched between C3D and Trimble.  GIS codes too.

HMU and we can discuss.

carry on

Posted : January 25, 2023 9:14 pm

JPH
(@jph)
Member Member

Posted by: @norman-oklahoma

3d polylines do not support curves.

I guess that's one advantage to Carlson, then

Posted : January 26, 2023 5:23 am
Brad Ott reacted
(@bstrand)
Mapper of Things Member

Posted by: @olemanriver

I have exported a couple surfaces but i need to experiment with the other options as civil3d seems to add a new point to it where triangles connect. It’s probably a setting on my side in tbc.

No, those are the survey points I've mentioned previously.  I've always wondered what the point of them is but I guess they're what makes survey figures able to work the way they do.

Posted : January 26, 2023 6:16 am
(@bstrand)
Mapper of Things Member

3d polylines do not support curves. 2d polylines do, but don't support changes in elevation. Survey Figures do both. FEATURE LINES have much of the same functionality as SURVEY FIGURES without the SD baggage.  But they are not created by the F2f functions. 

That's right, I've had people tell me that in the past.

One of the places I worked used feature lines and I kind of liked that way of doing things.  What I would like then is for the database to draw my linework with 2D polylines so I can easily make any edits and then once that's done I simply select all and create features lines from objects.

If there's a way to tell the database to draw the linework as something other than a survey figure I would love to know about that.

Posted : January 26, 2023 6:23 am

(@bobwesterman)
Member Member

3D polylines also don't properly render linestyles 

Posted : January 26, 2023 7:05 am
BC.Surveyor
(@bc-surveyor)
Member Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @jph

3d polylines do not support curves.

I guess that's one advantage to Carlson, then

Posted : January 26, 2023 8:33 am
Rover83
(@rover83)
Member Member

@bc-surveyor 

Splines might technically work as a 3D polyline, but can go wrong easily. They also rarely pass through the points that they should, such as PT/PC, and that can cause problems with surface development.

I don't think that C3D allows for a spline control code anyways. Could be wrong on that one.

Posted : January 26, 2023 9:17 am

Page 3 / 3