Share:
Notifications
Clear all

SMH… (short pet peeve rant)

Page 2 / 2
Chris Bouffard
(@chris-bouffard)
200+ posts Member

@jbw it's not that I don't like them, my point is that it's not a static line.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2021 7:57 am
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts Supporter

@holy-cow 

I believe I'm the guilty party. Then I think there was discussion about thread instead of thalweg. I've always used thalweg, but that's simply a function of where I work.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2021 2:44 pm
Skeeter1996
(@skeeter1996)
1,000+ posts Member

FEMA requires bearings to a second and distance to a hundredth to describe an area to be taken out of a flood zone. Isn't that ridiculous?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2021 3:27 pm
lunarfaze liked

RPlumb314
(@rplumb314)
200+ posts Member
Posted by: @skeeter1996

FEMA requires bearings to a second and distance to a hundredth to describe an area to be taken out of a flood zone. Isn't that ridiculous?

It's software-driven, more than likely. I seem to recall that seconds and hundredths dramatically increased in popularity about the time that COGO software became readily available.

Back in the early days of COGO, late 1970s, I was retracing a county road ROW in one of the metro Twin Cities counties. Of course the county had a bigger budget for COGO software than we did, and they were clearly running it--or perhaps you might say the software was running them.

I was astonished to find a centerline curve on the ROW drawing with a radius of over 400,000 feet, about 78 miles. The delta was about 4 minutes. A decade earlier, working for a county in northern MN, I used to see PIs left in the alignment of county roads for deltas of a degree or two. No one wanted to fit curves to them with a mechanical calculator and a book of trig tables, and you couldn't see them on the ground anyway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2021 4:22 pm
BStrand
(@bstrand)
1,000+ posts Member
Posted by: @rplumb314

I was astonished to find a centerline curve on the ROW drawing with a radius of over 400,000 feet, about 78 miles.

Now that is funny.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2021 6:08 pm
lunarfaze
(@lunarfaze)
50+ posts Member
Posted by: @nate-the-surveyor

@rankin_File

What does SMH mean?

Wouldn't it be SPPR?

One of my pet peeves is people who don't say what they mean! (Grin) 

Ps, I'm a guy you have to 'splain things to! 

N

Sewer Manhole, of course.  😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 8, 2021 10:54 am

aliquot
(@aliquot)
1,000+ posts Member

@holy-cow 

Althought there are rare exceptions, usually a boundary in a creek would follow the thread, or the medial line,  not the the thalweg. Thalweg boundaries usually occur where navigation is a concern. 

This is a good thing, because finding the thalweg is much more labor intensive and equipment intensive (hydrographic equipment) than finding the thread or the medial line. 

This post was modified 1 month ago by aliquot
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2021 2:13 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: