A55C4230 FD95 425F 923D B4D80AAC5D47
AA7D3BEA F296 4AB7 A8CE D241948996A1
Topic starter Posted : October 17, 2019 12:36 pm
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts Member

$1200?

Did I read that correctly?

For a computer adjustment program course?

WOW!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2019 3:31 pm
bundy
(@bundy)
10+ posts Member

StarNet-Certification-OLT (On Line Training) v9

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
5,000+ posts Member

The thing about paying real money for training is you pay attention and take great notes. The hands down best value in training I ever had was $800 spent on Michael McInnis' Trimble GPS training.   Sadly, for us, Michael has retired. 

16 hrs of training for $1200 bucks, or $75/hr.  Limited class size. Taught by 2 well qualified educators. PDHs at a good rate, I'd say. And if you come out of it having learned how to use StarNet effectively you will have transformed your way of surveying very much for the better. 

I've probably put in $12,000 worth of time learning StarNet by the trial and error method (pun intended) over the last 20 years and every minute has been worthwhile.  I'm still learning.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2019 4:55 pm
NorthernSurveyor
(@northernsurveyor)
500+ posts Supporter

I see the two instructors hold themselves out as "Geomatics Technologists" .  What the heck is that? 

Not claiming they are not qualified, just never heard of that title before.  Seems like our profession is always trying to redefine our titles and qualifications.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2019 6:36 pm
Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
5,000+ posts Member

@northernsurveyor

British Columbia. More specifically, The British Columbia Institute of Technology, my alma mater. Graduates of that school, and others, with relevant work experience can join the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia, get certified as an Applied Science Technologist, and sign and stamp certain documents in accordance with the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians Act. Other provinces have similar acts.

It's a step below a survey license, but with more authority than the American LSIT/LSI.  I believe that a technician could sign and seal a mortgage location map, a foundation survey, or a topographic map, for example but not a boundary survey.  Keeping in mind that the standards for becoming a licensed surveyor are very high compared to what we have here in the states.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2019 7:08 pm

NorthernSurveyor
(@northernsurveyor)
500+ posts Supporter

@norman-oklahoma

Well, that makes sense.  Wasn't thinking Canadian.  Learn something new every day still.     Thanks for the information.  

This post was modified 2 years ago by NorthernSurveyor
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2019 7:28 pm
James W Johnston
(@james-w-johnston)
10+ posts Member

I'm pleased to see the class is being noticed.  As the saying goes, any publicity is good, as long as they spell your name correctly!  Norman Oklahoma is correct, Scott and I are both BCIT alumni.  Most BC surveyors get their start with the Geomatics Technology program, although back in the 80s and earlier when we attended it was just called surveying technology.  Nowadays kids have the option to continue on and get a bachelor of science degree but back then you had to finish your schooling in Calgary or New Brunswick...which I never did.

I took a detour through the teaching profession before I ended up at MicroSurvey so I have an odd combination of qualifications.  My background suits the technical support requirement that we have people that can bridge the gap between hard technical facts and human beings of many stripes...this has always been important to MicroSurvey.

I've taught this program many times and in many parts of the world, and can do it because I've had the extremely good fortune of talking to lots of people who know STAR*NET well and don't mind sharing.  Like Norman Oklahoma points out...you can learn STAR*NET by trial and error but I've been able to learn it faster.  I take a practical, problem solving approach, often building lessons from sample files I get from other surveyors.  I'm big on ensuring attendees gain a strong understanding of how to properly weight measurements and in showing the elegant ways STAR*NET has of helping you spot outliers and blunders.

Sorry about the price, but I'm confident attendees will feel it is good value.  And be sure to note that the $1200 price is for the minority of users who do not have current maintenance.

And if you'd like to try out the first part of the curriculum without the expense, please visit our online school and sign up for "STAR*NET Import Workflows"

learn.microsurvey.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 18, 2019 3:06 pm
Share: