Surveyor Rejected his own monument

26 Posts
18 Users
27 Likes
Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
Member Member
Topic starter

Here is a pic of the corner of his plat.

Have you ever done this?

BTW, it is the W C-1/16 Sec 33

This surveyor definitely struggled.

N

Posted : January 20, 2023 1:14 pm
Brad Ott reacted
Andy J
(@andy-j)
Member Member

At least he's being honest..   I'd hope he had some kind of narrative or note that explained the new evidence that made him adjust the section corner.   

Posted : January 20, 2023 1:54 pm
JPH and CV Nevada reacted
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
Member Supporter

I have a new job where it's possible I might have to do that.  I did a job over 30 years ago and should have found the center section corner.  Memory is a bit fuzzy on that situation and those really old jobs are not stored here and that was pre-computer drafting days.  It's possible I will come up with a different solution.  Don't know yet.  But, kinda maybe.

Posted : January 20, 2023 2:18 pm

Get the 2023 SurveyorConnect Wall Calendar

paden cash
(@paden-cash)
Member Supporter

Stepping in other surveyor's poop is always aggravating...stepping in your own is always a special kind of humility.

Depending on what's going on there I can think of several scenarios where what you've shown there isn't a good thing.  Hopefully he can contact a few folks and make an attempt to rectumfy the sichyashun.

Posted : January 20, 2023 2:34 pm
Rover83
(@rover83)
Member Member

Perhaps the error was not in the previous boundary solution, but the fieldwork?

Posted : January 20, 2023 2:38 pm
Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)
Thor (god of thunder) Supporter

I like this.

Posted : January 20, 2023 3:31 pm

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
Member Member

Not my own but set by my predecessor. In his thick pile of calculations I found where he wrote S W where he should’ve written S E when he calculated the tie from his traverse point to the monument he set. It was about 10’ but the monument was off 5 feet so I reset it. This is on top of a mountain near Ridgewood Ranch (home of Seabiscuit). I found his traverse point after 40 years and his backsight and set where he intended to set it.

James Conkright, an excellent and very thorough surveyor, always a pleasure to follow him, he left voluminous documentation.

Posted : January 20, 2023 4:32 pm
R S Mayer, Brad Ott, CV Nevada and 1 people reacted
thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
Member Member

I wonder if that fence was constructed in reliance on the first monument? Errors can become corners (and usually do with time and reliance)...

Posted : January 20, 2023 6:16 pm
Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
Member Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @thebionicman

Errors can become corners (and usually do with time and reliance)...

There is a quote for the book....

Posted : January 20, 2023 6:26 pm
Brad Ott reacted

CV Nevada
(@cv)
Member Member

Doctors bury their mistakes. Lawyers jail theirs. Surveyors record theirs for perpetuity.

😑

Posted : January 20, 2023 7:11 pm
Chuck Beresford, oldpacer, dgm-pls and 3 people reacted
Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
Member Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @cv

Surveyors record theirs for perpetuity

I've always heard that we monument them.

Dad did a survey, where he tied the east 1/4 cor of a section. My older brother computed it, with up 41. The software used quadrants. He accidentally hit SE (2) instead of NE (1)  this placed the computed 1/4 cor 20' too far south. 

I later tied into stuff with GPS. I found the mistake. I had to add a note, about why my numbers were not similar to his. 

The solutions should conform to reality, if possible.

N

Posted : January 21, 2023 8:33 am
CV Nevada reacted
Peter Ehlert
(@peter-ehlert)
Member Member

we all make errors.

===
eventually after a few decades we can stumble across a minor OOPS, or even a big one.

Kudos to those that have a fresh look at their own old work and discover them.
double Kudos to those that Correct the errors and Document the corrections in the public records.

of course reliance on the erroneous work can compound it. It's our personal responsibility to address and correct that too.

Hopefully my errors will all be discovered before I die so I will be able to acknowledge them and clean up my own poop.
odds are against that.

Posted : January 21, 2023 9:01 am

(@on_point)
Member Member

Posted by: @thebionicman

I wonder if that fence was constructed in reliance on the first monument? Errors can become corners (and usually do with time and reliance)...

I’ve seen many an old fence several feet off from the deed calls that has over time become the accepted boundary. Also, if said old fence is meandering does that mean the boundary does as well? I’ve run across a deed every once in awhile that said “running with a fence in a blank direction to a corner post”. Is that saying even if the fence isn’t straight it’s still the boundary line? Same with a stream?🤔 

Posted : January 21, 2023 9:08 am
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
Member Supporter

@on_point 

If the location of the fence was the intended boundary, then the fence is the boundary, unless it has been replaced in some other location.

Posted : January 21, 2023 11:40 am
KT_88 reacted
(@on_point)
Member Member

@holy-cow I agree, I have seen where “deed stalkers” set corners and mark the line on the ground by deed calls and ignore the fence though.

Posted : January 21, 2023 12:05 pm

Page 1 / 2