Using WiFi hotspots

8 Posts
5 Users
9 Likes
Kevin Hines
(@kevin-hines)
Chief Member
Topic starter

We have been using AT&T WIFI hotspots instead of sim cards in our TSC3 data collectors for the past few months. Everything was working well until last week when we needed to connect to the state VRS. Now we are getting the eternal wheel of death when attempting to use 2 different hotspots, but connect immediately when we bring the units into the office and connect to the C-Spire WIFI.

Has anyone else that uses AT&T hotspots noticed any problems?

Posted : September 21, 2022 7:27 am
Hi-staker
(@hi-staker)
Member-PLS Supporter

I haven't used Trimble gear in a while, so this may not apply...

Our DCs require a 2.4 GHz wi-fi connection. You might check and see if your AT&T hotspots had a firmware update that shut off the 2.4 GHz band in favor of the 5 GHz band.  

Good luck!

Posted : September 21, 2022 8:27 am
BStrand, Jitterboogie, Brad Ott and 1 people reacted
Kevin Hines
(@kevin-hines)
Chief Member
Topic starter

@hi-staker 

Thank you!

Posted : September 21, 2022 8:40 am
Hi-staker reacted

JPH
 JPH
(@jph)
Member Member

The AT&T hotspot is working fine with our Leica unit

Posted : September 22, 2022 8:11 am
Kevin Hines reacted
Hi-staker
(@hi-staker)
Member-PLS Supporter

@kevin-hines Did this fix your issue?

Posted : September 22, 2022 2:08 pm
Kevin Hines
(@kevin-hines)
Chief Member
Topic starter

Thank you to those that have given advice on the wi-fi / hotspot issue I had.  The fix was to go through the data collector and reset a toggle that one of our guys changed when he was going through the menus trying to learn how to operate the gear.  We were lucky in the fact that we didn't need to use the wi-fi for a 4 day stretch.  I am grateful that it was a easy fix even if it was a pain finding the cause.  I can only blame myself for not keeping a closer watch on what he was doing.

Thanks again!  Be safe!

Posted : September 22, 2022 3:24 pm
Hi-staker reacted

BStrand
(@bstrand)
Member Member

I've monkeyed with the wifi bricks a bit and it's beyond obsolete tech and a waste of money, imo.  Dump the bricks and just pay for the hotspot plan on your smartphone (or if you're Verizon it's simply included in every plan I think).  You're already carrying that with you anyway, so.. lighten the load.

Posted : September 22, 2022 7:11 pm
Kevin Hines reacted
Jaccen
(@jaccen)
Member Member

@bstrand 

This is what some of our crews do for RTN corrections. The company is already paying for the phone and plan so we do not see the point in buying another device.  With 3G set to be phased out here in the next few years, we just link the data collector to the phone and set it as the source for corrections.

Posted : September 23, 2022 4:58 am
Kevin Hines reacted