Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Volatile business enviroment

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts Supporter

It's been a weird couple of years here. To try and keep ahead of materials we have stocked up more than usual since the lag time from placing an order to getting the product has mostly doubled. So last week on Tuesday I noticed we were about out of 30" aluminum rods we use to set 3" brass and aluminum caps. All that was left was in the trucks which should get us through the next month.

So ordered 50 more Thursday and Tuesday this week they were dropped off.

We all looked at each other, can't get mail across the street that fast!!!

I have a client that cuts checks each Thursday, they are 30 miles from my office. I billed them on the first week of April, the second week of May and I'm wondering if the email got to the correct address, or if I even sent it. Sure enough I did. I was about to call them when the check showed up. It was postmarked April 12th, didn't get to the our mailbox till mid May. 

I had a new client come in Wed. this week needing an easement staked on a parcel we worked on. They were flying back east the next day and were in a huge hurry to get the centerline because they needed to clear line for construction on their new house. Back east they were renovating their house to sell and move here. They called yesterday evening in a big panic. Seems while they were away their renovation hit multiple snags due to material delays and they can't even think of starting the one here. They will probably need to wait now till late fall. Glad they called, I was going to have it done Tuesday since we had a project down the street from them.

This kinda stuff keeps happening. 

Topic starter Posted : May 20, 2022 6:45 am
Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)
5,000+ posts Supporter

Feels like maybe an engine sputtering out of gas…?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 20, 2022 7:15 am
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts Supporter

@brad-ott 

Feels like the busiest time ever, the oil and gas work has vanished, I'm ok with that. The next level of work is filled with either desperate people moving here to get away from where they live now, or big projects that need to be done and everyone is scrambling for workers or materials. 

I have one client that's building all types of residential homes and condos, I'm chatting with him and he has a place in Hawaii and they need construction work there so badly he started building there too. It's all location, location, location I guess. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 20, 2022 7:59 am
Brad Ott liked

RADAR
(@dougie)
5,000+ posts Member

2008 thru 2012; nothing was being built, 95% of everyone I knew, cut back at least 50%, or more.

My guess is; we're just starting to catch the backlash...

GIF

GIF

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 20, 2022 8:08 am
Brad Ott liked
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts Supporter

@dougie 

I was swamped in those years. Some of the busiest times ever. I know it wasn't that way in other parts of the country, but it was crazy here.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 20, 2022 9:19 am
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Member

The thing that amazes me with my work load is with the wide array of needs.  Why are they calling for a survey?  Every varied reason imaginable.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 20, 2022 9:52 am
Brad Ott and RADAR liked

RADAR
(@dougie)
5,000+ posts Member

@mightymoe 

That's amazing!

Absolutely dead here, for at least 5 years. I've got 100's of stories...

GIF
ReplyQuote
Posted : May 20, 2022 10:13 am
Brad Ott liked
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts Supporter

@dougie 

It's a different business here. Lots of energy back then, everything from CO2 projects to horizontal drilling. Plus we have always had DOT and water work. Subdivisions and residential projects were sparse, I can see if that's the focus then it would be understandable that work got slow. 

I think the early 80's were the last slow times for me. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 20, 2022 11:45 am
Share: