Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What is it

briarcutter
(@briarcutter)
10+ posts Member

Client gave me this rod today.  Never seen one like it.

Anyone have experience with this type rod ?

Topic starter Posted : September 28, 2021 9:35 am
VA LS 2867
(@va-ls-2867)
200+ posts Member

Metric Level rod

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2021 10:03 am
Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts Member

What is the distance between major markings?  I can't tell for sure in the picture, but it looks like it could be metric.

Whatever it is, it is interesting that it uses V for 5 and N for 9.  Perhaps that was to avoid blunders when used with an inverting instrument, where there would be a strong tendency to misread them as 2 and 6?

It's also nice that it adds the red dots to tell you how many times the scale has repeated rather than crowding in more digits.

On the downside, why aren't the ticks pointed so you won't get confused reading the top versus bottom of the line?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2021 10:14 am

oldpacer
(@oldpacer)
200+ posts Member

Cool, never have seen one until now.  Are the face ticks painted of engraved?  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2021 10:14 am
briarcutter
(@briarcutter)
10+ posts Member

I actually dont have the rod in my possession yet. Client sent me this pic offering to give me the rod or the Confederate $100 bill in background as his appreciation of my meeting with him on Sunday afternoon and discussing his project. Once I have the unit in-hand I will answer the questions.

Thanks for the input

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 29, 2021 6:55 am
chris mills
(@chris-mills)
500+ posts Member

@bill93 Looks fairly standard to me - I've two 5 metre ones in the store which get regular use, aluminium rather than wood. The V and N afre useful when there's a lot of obstruction to the sightline, such as vegetation, when it would be easy to read 5 as an 8 or 6 as a 9.

I can't quite see on the picture, but on ours the 5cm. line is pointed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2021 8:15 am

Lurker
(@lurker)
200+ posts Member

I'll take the $100 bill. I've seen plenty of level rods but never that $100 bill.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2021 11:10 am
JPH
 JPH
(@jph)
1,000+ posts Member

@briarcutter 

Take the money!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2021 11:26 am
RADAR
(@dougie)
5,000+ posts Member
Posted by: @briarcutter

Confederate $100 bill

Is a Confederate $100 bill worth anything?

If Confederate bills are very crisp and have not been folded or circulated, they can be worth $10 to $100 each. Earlier versions from the early part of the Civil War and more decorative versions can be worth much more money; if you get a $500 bill it can be worth thousands of dollars.
ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2021 12:18 pm

Share: