Notifications
Clear all

WHY is there a shortage of everything???

27 Posts
20 Users
124 Likes
JPH
 JPH
(@jph)
Member Member

@dave-karoly 

That's strange.  But I don't have a Lowe's near me.  At Home Depot the online inventory is pretty accurate, tells you how many of whatever.

Posted : August 11, 2022 9:07 am
Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)
Member Member

Posted by: @bstrand

@james-fleming

Yeah, ridiculous.

When I was looking at trucks last year the Toyota guys said I'd have to pay a $1000 deposit to get on the list to get a Tundra.  I was like pffffffffffffffft, you can keep it.

I was looking for a Tundra to replace the 15 year old one I had.  I started visiting dealers with no luck and then started visiting dealer websites.  I found one that said they had 20 "in stock".  Wrong.  There was one on the lot and it was sold.  I can understand not being able to get the trucks, But don't lie to me.  I ended up with a new 2021 Nissan Titan and have been pleased so far.

Andy

Posted : August 11, 2022 9:08 am
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
Member Member

Earlier this evening I learned of the current problem with buying new semi-tractors.  My friend has close to a dozen drivers hauling cement every day from a nearby cement plant to somewhere within about a 1000 mile radius.  Lately, much of his hauling ends up somewhere in Arkansas. He has had runs into Canada with some frequency.  He needs to buy new semi-tractors routinely.  He said that today you put down $5000 to get put on a list for one that will be delivered approximately 18 months from now.  The price will be announced about three months prior to delivery.  You take that one or lose your $5000.

He goes through a huge amount of diesel fuel.  The fuel price is announced on the morning of the day you have set for your delivery.  You have three business days to pay that bill.  He recently took two deliveries of 8600 gallons each at $5.05 per gallon ($87000 approx.)

Posted : August 11, 2022 10:36 pm

Ric Moore
(@ric-moore)
Member Member

@james-fleming Only $4k above MSRP for the Jeep.  That would be a deal in CA

Posted : August 12, 2022 8:01 am
John Hamilton
(@john-hamilton)
Member Member
Topic starter

I was able to recently buy a "new" 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee to replace my 2016 diesel Grand Cherokee. I paid MSRP, but it had 1900 miles on it. It was loaded almost exactly how I wanted it. The last two I ordered from the factory to my spec, but they said that would be 6 months or more to wait. I guess it was a demo vehicle. I said something about it not being new, they said they could easily get a few  $1000 more for it if they shopped around to other dealers. 

Posted : August 12, 2022 9:28 am
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
Member Member

I want to buy some pancake syrup.  The "lite", low-sugar variety of every day pancake syrup.  Can't find any to buy after making three stops at places that normally carry a good supply.

Posted : August 12, 2022 8:52 pm

OleManRiver
(@olemanriver)
Member Member

I ordered all my baling twine in January just received my last role yesterday it trickled in.  What’s crazy is it usually comes in pairs for small square baler. A friend runs a landscaping and mowing service. He placed an order yesterday for two more zero turn kubotas commercial mowers. They should get them back next October. This is beginning not to funny anymore.  I have a steer ready for the freezer but I can’t find one and I have been looking since last Christmas. Crazy times. I am ready to head to the west coast and get my supplies loaded on my truck and trailer but gas is so high. 

Posted : August 12, 2022 9:02 pm
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
Member Member

@olemanriver 

Do it.  Shipping costs are outrageous.  A box holding 106 pounds cost me $176 to ship from a regional warehouse to my implement dealer.  The warehouse is about 450 miles away. The box was about 10" x 10" x 60".

Posted : August 13, 2022 7:00 am
Gary
 Gary
(@gary_g)
Member Member

@james-fleming Hey ! Is my survey done yet ?! 

Posted : August 13, 2022 7:21 am

NotSoMuch
(@notsomuch)
Member Member

@holy-cow I just shipped a 13"x13"x17" box that weighed a whopping 5.5 lbs. from CO to VA with ground shipping and no guaranteed delivery date. And I dropped it at the local store.

Prices among the usual shippers (USPS, FedEx and UPS) ranged from $42-50.  Outrageous!

And another thing, I got the shipping estimates on line, showed the buyer the options and he said to use the least expensive option (as expected).  Went back to the website and had to re-enter the item info -- the shipping price magically increased by $6 for the exact same specs.  I just ate the extra cost since we'd already agreed on total price.

Interesting that I sold the item for a whopping $10, but it cost the buyer roughly $56 to receive said item.  I'm afraid to go search up the item's cost if bought new....

I cleared a whopping $4 on the deal if I value my time at $0.

I didn't do this deal to make a profit, I simply hate throwing away stuff that still has a useful life....

Posted : August 13, 2022 8:14 am
Richard Imrie, RADAR, OleManRiver and 6 people reacted
Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
Member Member

Well, what kind of survey antique goodies have ya got? I'm still patiently looking for a lietz transit, from the 1920's.

We had a 1923 model, 20 minute vernier, worn out rack on the focus. My brother has it. It's his. So, I try to find a similar one to buy. 

N

Posted : August 13, 2022 5:58 pm
GeeOddMike
(@geeoddmike)
Member Member

Posted : August 14, 2022 11:52 am
Hawko, R.J. Schneider, RADAR and 7 people reacted

Page 2 / 2